The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Gentlemen and Ladies, I need advice...

Got the rest of my February assignments today, and I have a BIG Varsity Boys game between two cross-town rivals towards the end of the month. It will have playoff implications, as these two teams are close in the standings. Having done them each twice already, I know they will press and fast-break the whole game. It will be a track meet with heavy, heavy duty stuff in the paint.

I feel AWFUL writing this, but I'm not sure what to do. If I seek wisdom from my mentors in my assc., they will know what and whom I am referring to.

My partner for this big game (2-person crew only) is a guy who's been reffing for 10+ years, but has never risen above the JV level in ability (or shown a desire to). This is not only my opinion, but that of many vets in my assc, including evaluators. He's a great guy, but has trouble keeping up with the play at this level, and to be honest, does not call a great game. He's been doing MS and JV all year, with 2-3 Varsity games thrown in.

I am not the second coming of Earl Strom or Dick Vevetta, but I have worked hard to advance to my present level (Varsity and JUCO), and know what it takes.

SO...what do you do when you're unsure of your partner?

Frankly, I feel like a coward. I'm actually considering turning the game back, because I don't think I deserve a plum assignment with this attitude.

If I'm being a jerk, if I'm unprofessional, or if I need a slap, please tell me. I'll give my head a shake, tell myself to get over it, and move on. Otherwise, any advice would help a lot.

This probably seems like a pathetic, self-pitying situation, but I could use the wisdom that the vets on this board seem to provide. I thank you.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

If this guy truly cannot handle the game, then putting him on it is unfair to the kids. However, since your assignor(s) did just this, perhaps they wish to see (again, in my opinion, at the expense of the kids) how you will handle such a situation. Will you be able to step up and drive the boat? What will be your reaction when your partner makes a horrible call? How will you handle the upset coaches and kids? This may be set-up to be your most difficult assignment ever and you have to take control of the game!
When I know I am going into a battle, I want a strong partner, but if I know that I don't have one, I take it as a challenge.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Pregame Pregame Pregame

Maybe this is your test, not his. It sounds as if you will be the R on this game. Make sure you have a great pregame with your partner - in fact, start preparing now about points you want to emphasize and cover. You know the teams, you can help your partner immensely by pointing out things to look for and what to expect. After that, get in there, get it done and get out. Good luck.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

My partner for this big game (2-person crew only) is a guy who's been reffing for 10+ years, but has never risen above the JV level in ability (or shown a desire to). SO...what do you do when you're unsure of your partner?

canuckrefguy,
Step up and do the game.

Don't go over-reaching to help your partner, 75% of the calls out of our primary is wrong.

mick
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Question huh????

Mick-

Something you posted caught my attention...

"...75% of the calls out of our primary is wrong."

could you please elaborate? because at face value, i 100% disagree.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation. I have been fortunate enough to reach another level in women's basketball to work with so many great officials. At the higher levels it is a brutal business. This is only my second year at this level and my 1st year getting conference games. Last year was all either non-conference or exhibition games. This is the 1st year I did conference games where winning/lossing can cost the coach their job. I was put in a crew w/ another official who is in the exact same senario as myself and a rookie official. I still am a rookie at this level w/only 1 more year experience. We were assigned a conference game in which I was designated as the "R". My pregame was very in-depth. We discussed a ton of situations.
Needless to say I was assigned with this official 5 times. I took this as an opportunity to prove myself qualified to officiate at this level. The games were not perfect, but we made the calls that needed to be called. At this level, it is with EXTREME caution to expand your area.
My advice is to have the same mindset and believe that this will be the best officiated game of the year.(I try to have this attitude for every game...no matter what level)
My partners seem to feed off of this and the games (all 5 completed)went well. Have a good pregame and just do the game. Think positive and be confident of yourself and your partner and don't get frazzled.

"Control what you can control, and just survive the rest"

GOOD LUCK
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Re: huh????

Quote:
Originally posted by jtarantine
Mick-

Based (supposedly) on an NCAA study. When "they" went back and looked at tapes, calls where an official reached were more often wrong than right (I've heard 80%).
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Question Re: huh????

Quote:
Mick-

jtarantine,
Refer to bob jenkins quote.
You disagree 100%. Is that a total disagreement to what, exactly?
Does that mean when officials reach outa their primary they are correct 75% of the time? None of the time? All of the time?
mick
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

it just seemed like a blanket statement. for example, if i am working with a knowledgable, hard-working, communicative official, then chances are that @ 75% of the calls that I would make in his "area" are wrong.

however, if i am working with someone that doesn't want to be there, just wants to get home and get the game over with, and NEVER calls anything, then the percentage of "wrong" calls that I may make in his area would be way under 75%. I have to pick up his slack for the sake of the player.

i'm certainly NOT saying that I focus on my partner's area. quite the contrary. I will say, though, that I have had to call obvious fouls/violations cause my partner was trying to "get home by 8" (his words in pregame meeting).

Mick, it might be because I am a first year official, and I primarily work lower level games. maybe at the varsity+ level the "75%" statement would be more valid, or in 3-man situations.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
it just seemed like a blanket statement. for example, if i am working with a knowledgable, hard-working, communicative official, then chances are that @ 75% of the calls that I would make in his "area" are wrong.

however, if i am working with someone that doesn't want to be there, just wants to get home and get the game over with, and NEVER calls anything, then the percentage of "wrong" calls that I may make in his area would be way under 75%. I have to pick up his slack for the sake of the player.

i'm certainly NOT saying that I focus on my partner's area. quite the contrary. I will say, though, that I have had to call obvious fouls/violations cause my partner was trying to "get home by 8" (his words in pregame meeting).

Mick, it might be because I am a first year official, and I primarily work lower level games. maybe at the varsity+ level the "75%" statement would be more valid, or in 3-man situations.

So, it would appear that you did not disagree 100%.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
J, this is not meant to demean you or anyone. But if NCAA varsity officials are wrong 75% of the time when they call outside their area, what do you think the percentage is for newer officials? Gotta be even higher, regardless of your good intentions of picking up your partner's slack.

If you can't see both the offensive and defensive players (which is usually the case when the play is outside your primary), you're at a severe disadvantage in calling the play. It might be better to let your partner live and die with his own calls than to go reaching and take a guess.

Just a thought.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

After reading the previous messages, I can only say this:

Don't work in your partner's primary, regardless of the reason, especially at the varsity level.

Your partner, regardless of your opinion of him, has been assigned this game. You have your responsibilities on the court, and they involve off-ball officiating in your primary area.

If you start calling fouls (or questionable violations) in your partner's primary, the following will happen:

(1) Your partner will think you are poaching. I've had partners do this (even this season) and it is really hard to not get annoyed, especially when you've made a conscious decision to not blow the whistle.
(2) Anyone knowledgable will think you are overstepping your bounds.
(3) Anyone REALLY knowlegdable (such as a supervisor or assignor or other officials) will write you off as a ball-watcher.

Better a foul goes uncalled, in my opinion, then for someone to think I'm a ball-watcher.

Have a good pregame, control what you can control, and do your job.

And don't give the game back. Part of being a top official is being able to work with all types of partners.

Rich
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I understand your point. Thanks for the advice. I do my best to focus on my primary, but get frustrated when my partner could care less and just wants to pick up his paycheck and get home. I'll try to balance the responsiblities effectively...
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Better a foul goes uncalled, in my opinion, then for someone to think I'm a ball-watcher.

Have a good pregame, control what you can control, and do your job.

And don't give the game back. Part of being a top official is being able to work with all types of partners.
Well said, Rich...on all points. I'm not one for calling outside my area unless it's one of those "God and Country" type ones that has to be called.

I had a chance to sleep on it, and I'm keeping the game. We'll do our best and the chips will fall where they may.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

T'other night

Late 4th Boy's Varsity, 2 point game
My good partner and I were working in a little gym (new gym is ready to go next week) where the baseline is literally 6" off the end wall.

I'm at lead (on the court, players under the hoop and a player behind me near the arc) and a pass quickly snapped my way to the player outside the arc. (I am 3' from this player toward the hoop)I turned to see his foot 3" off the arc. As I watched his foot leave the floor (remember my vision is very limited by proximity), I peripherally saw a body hit the deck about 3' to the shooter's left.
As I marked a "Three", my partner blows a whistle for a foul.

At the end of the game , my partner said he felt really bad for calling that foul, even though it was a big push, because he saw my fist going up.

I told him that I was glad he got it cuz that was "three fingers" not a fist, and though I saw a body, I had no idea how he got there.