The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   goal tendind and interfernce with the ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7314-goal-tendind-interfernce-ball.html)

ohad_d Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:24pm

sit :

after a field goal attempt the ball hits the ring , the ball goas up , and on is way down , an offensive player cause the ring to vibrate in such way that the ball , in the judgement of the official , is prevenred from entering the basket..

do i need to count the basket?

the ateempt for the shot as finish while the ball hit the ring..isn't it?

by fiba rules 10x !!

Adam Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:32pm

Don't know about Fiba rules, but NFHS it's offensive interference. No basket. Defense gets ball.

snaqs

ohad_d Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:35pm

what about D player?

Adam Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:44pm

In NFHS, defensive basket interference is the same as goal tending, in that the penalty is awarding the points as if the ball had gone in. Ball then goes to non-scoring team as if the ball had simply gone through the basket.

Simultaneous interference? No basket. Alternating possession.
snaqs

ohad_d Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:47pm

the problem is that i dont think it was interference..bacause when rhe ball this the ring..the attempt for the shot is over...

Adam Mon Feb 03, 2003 04:57pm

If the ball is still in the 'cylinder' above the ring when the player causes it to vibrate, it's interference. If you thought the ball had a chance to go in, then the shot isn't over.
Think about it this way. Last second shot, released before the buzzer. Ball hits rim (after the buzzer goes off), bounces straight up, and then falls through the rim. Basket counts because the shot wasn't over. Same thing.

Wait a second. I need to think about this now.

snaqs

Camron Rust Mon Feb 03, 2003 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
If the ball is still in the 'cylinder' above the ring when the player causes it to vibrate, it's interference.
In the NF rules that you are refering too this is not correct. Interference is:
(1) Touching the ball basket (ring or net)when the ball is in the <b>basket</b>.
(2) Touching the ball when the ball is in the imaginary cylinder.

Touching the basket when the ball is in the cylinder is NOT interference. You may have a technical foul for slapping the board or hanging on the rim, but you can NOT count the basket.

Adam Mon Feb 03, 2003 05:13pm

Cameron, you're right. Rule 10-3-6-b is pretty clear. Technical foul no matter which team does it. Of course, if the ball goes in, I assume we count it either way.
Interesting.
Thanks,

snaqs

Camron Rust Mon Feb 03, 2003 05:21pm

Quote:

Of course, if the ball goes in, I assume we count it either way.

snaqs

That is correct. The ball remains live and the basket will count if and only if it goes in.

ohad_d Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:28pm

bur remember.. i need it by fiba rules..

Josh Ovens Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:07am

Quote:

Cameron, you're right. Rule 10-3-6-b is pretty clear. Technical foul no matter which team does it. Of course, if the ball goes in, I assume we count it either way.
Interesting.
Thanks,

snaqs

is it still a T if the Dfensive players slaps the backboard causing the ring to vibrate while within the cylinder, or is it just goaltending?

Mark Dexter Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by Josh Ovens
Quote:

Interesting.
Thanks,

snaqs

is it still a T if the Dfensive players slaps the backboard causing the ring to vibrate while within the cylinder, or is it just goaltending?

Josh, for NF/NCAA rules, it's only a T.

Goaltending can only be as a result of touching the ball. BI can only result from touching the ball or the rim/basket. Touching the backboard can never be BI/GT.

Adam Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:10am

Josh,
NFHS, it's a T either way. Not basket interference or goaltending. Of course, if he makes ring vibrate when the ball is touching the ring, then it's interference.
Weird technicality, as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry, though, I have no idea what the FIBA rule is on this.

ROMANO Tue Feb 04, 2003 01:34am

You DON'T need to count the basket.
FIBA SAY: IF deffensive or offensive player cause the ring to vibrate in such way that the ball , in the judgement of the official , is prevenred from entering the basket.
if this is a deffensive player-basket count!
if this is a offensive player -basket won't count!

NICK Tue Feb 04, 2003 03:55am

OHAD, DID YOU WANT THE FIBA RULING? IF SO CHECK FIBA RULE
41.3.1 (VIOLATION BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER)