The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Air Max Blowout

I purchased a new pair of Nike Air Max 2011's in all black. I love these shoes, didn't have to do anything to them to make them all black to wear to to referee. During my AAU games today both shoes blew out.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to get the situation rectified.

To make matters worse I have a camp coming up next week and I was counting on having these shoes. I have had them less than 20 days.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This happened to me so I took them over to Phil Knight's house and he gave me a new pair and a Ferrari.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
During my AAU games today both shoes blew out.

I have had them less than 20 days.
Contact customer service where ever you got them. Almost any retailed will stand behind a product that fails in less than a month.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 07:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow!

Quote:
I always carry a spare pair of shoes with me and never had the occasion to use them.....hope it never comes down to it. But, it's always good to be prepared. (hint to newbies)
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:41pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
I purchased a new pair of Nike Air Max 2011's in all black. I love these shoes, didn't have to do anything to them to make them all black to wear to to referee. During my AAU games today both shoes blew out.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to get the situation rectified.

To make matters worse I have a camp coming up next week and I was counting on having these shoes. I have had them less than 20 days.
3 of my sons wear those shoes without issue. How much do you weigh?
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

There have been some problems with the Air Max shoe with some blowouts. It has happen to a few officials, but not everyone. And Nike replaced those shoes rather quickly when it happen. I cannot speak for that year, but I can speak for older models of that shoe. Not something that was chronic, but it did happen to a few people I know.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I had the heel swell up on a pair of these. I sent them back to Nike with a description of what happened, no receipt or anything, they sent me a $160 voucher to replace them.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
3 of my sons wear those shoes without issue. How much do you weigh?
You say that jokingly but you do make a good point. There actually IS a PSI tolerance on Nike's Air technology. I know it has improved some but I haven't worn a pair since the Clinton Administration. (Pre Lewinsky!) It's not just how heavy you are but how heavy a runner you are. If you are a 'heel to toe' runner, Nike's may not be the best option. Fortunately, there are now several all black running shoes. (Unfortunately for me few come in 4E!)
Brooks and ASICS have a few 'black' options. Holabird Sports is a good website to look or support your local running specialty store.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
You say that jokingly but you do make a good point. There actually IS a PSI tolerance on Nike's Air technology. I know it has improved some but I haven't worn a pair since the Clinton Administration. (Pre Lewinsky!) It's not just how heavy you are but how heavy a runner you are. If you are a 'heel to toe' runner, Nike's may not be the best option. Fortunately, there are now several all black running shoes. (Unfortunately for me few come in 4E!)
Brooks and ASICS have a few 'black' options. Holabird Sports is a good website to look or support your local running specialty store.
As this is my second pair of AirMax to blow out, previously I had a pair of 360s blow out on me it could be that I am a heal toe runner. That would not surprise me. I did lose 30lbs since I had the 360's.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, which is one of two reasons I don't wear Nike anymore.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 12:58pm
Huck Finn

I think Nike will replace them.

I'm assuming you are wearing these straight out of the box since the material or design does not make shining them feasible. I have these shoes in white, want them in black, but I don't think I would officiate in them because they don't take shine - they are actually about as dull as you can get. Even if I wore something like this locally I don't think I would wear something like this in a camp setting.

When anyone asks about shoes, the responses are subjective and rightfully so. Some people will not wear Nikes period and I would hesitate to wear anything else. Many people only use running shoes and as long as I'm doing one game I prefer basketball shoes.

I hope you get your shoes replaced - I don't think you will have any problems.