The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:51am
Esteemed Participant

Geez...I did read your entire post...the point of my post was to get you to realize that "yelling" (your words, not mine) is not the best way to deal with the situation...I certainly did not mean to sound like I was criticizing you...but hey, if you wanna get defensive, go ahead - sounds like that's what you did in the original situation also...so be it...
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Don't sweat this too much.

It may have been wrong for the varsity guy to override you from the scorer's table, but it's not worth getting in a lather about.

As for your partner, I agree with some of the others, it was his first game.

This sounds like it was bang-bang, and in JH ball, let the subs in. It's just good game management.

Hint to your partner: as you are about to hand the ball to the player, have one last glance at table to check for subs. Avoids these irritating situations.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Geez...I did read your entire post...the point of my post was to get you to realize that "yelling" (your words, not mine) is not the best way to deal with the situation...I certainly did not mean to sound like I was criticizing you...but hey, if you wanna get defensive, go ahead - sounds like that's what you did in the original situation also...so be it...
dj,

Rookies..., eh?
Try to tell 'em sumthin'...

mick

There's a 100% chance they'll hear ya and a 75% chance they're listening.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[
dj,

Rookies..., eh?
Try to tell 'em sumthin'...

mick

There's a 100% chance they'll hear ya and a 75% chance they're listening.

I know, mick...I know...sigh...
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the 'rookie' comments. makes me feel really comfortable on this board. i was only defensive because you basically scolded me, telling me to do what in actuality i DID....
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

veterens, eh?

there's a 75% chance that they'll hear ya and a 100% chance that it doesn't matter what you say because they know it all...

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
yeah but...i know but...i hear ya but...
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

truce

either way... it's good to hear your comments. i'm definitely learning from them, and i mean that.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by jtarantine

Ball goes out of bounds @ half court. I am lead, under basket. Partner is at half court with the ball. Home team subs in a player. I motion the player in and am now waiting for play to begin. My partner is literally an inch away from handing the team the ball to begin play and I hear a horn from the scorekeeper. I look to the table, and notice that Home team wants to sub another player. I put my hand up, and tell the table and the coach to wait until the next dead ball because my partner was beginning play. I give the 'thumbs up' to my partner and partner begins to give the team the ball to begin play...again. HORN again!! Scorekeeper (keep in mind, varsity official) says that I am wrong and that I should allow the sub. My partner says (in the scorekeepers direction, from across the court) "Well, I didn't give her the ball yet." So, I submit, and allow the sub to come in. At this point I am FUMING!!!

2 words: Lighten up. By the letter of the law you are right and you know it, but put this in perspective. If this is the worst problem you have with a scorekeeper, consider yourself truly blessed. Some routinely hit the horn after you hand the player the ball, not to mention that many players of all ages treat the horn as a green light and sprint onto the court. The horn interrupts the flow, whether it was sounded at the proper time or not, so in this case, in a jr. high game, I let the sub come in, sometimes even when it means taking the ball out of the hands of the player. Call it the path of least resistance. It is sometimes easier to stray slightly from the proper path than it is to illuminate the path for people who live in total darkness.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref

[/B]
2 words: Lighten up. By the letter of the law you are right and you know it, but put this in perspective. If this is the worst problem you have with a scorekeeper, consider yourself truly blessed. [/B][/QUOTE]

My favorite scorer error is when you report a foul and ask if we are in bonus and they reply no. Then on the next fould they tell you it is #8. Of course when you pregame them, they are all "I've done this for years" and ignore everything you tell them.

Mregor

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Freshman boys game Saturday, scorer was miffed that we announed a 1 & 1 without her saying so. First, she said no, it's not. Then we questioned her because the scoreboard said the team had 6 fouls prior to the one called. She gave in, and partner heard her mutter under her breath, "But I didn't tell her it was the bonus." We laughed.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
veterens, eh?

there's a 75% chance that they'll hear ya and a 100% chance that it doesn't matter what you say because they know it all...

Hey, Rook,
There ain't a writer on this board that knows it all.
There ain't a writer on this board that'll back down from a legitimate discussion.
There ain't a writer on this board that wont' bust you and me just for the fun of it. ...And when we get busted, we'll probably have learned something. It doesn't even hurt all that bad.
The more you are here, the more you will know.
This is your first year!
We've all had a first year!
Hang in and hold on.
mick

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 03:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
i was only defensive because you basically scolded me, telling me to do what in actuality i DID....
Not according to your original post...you said you "submitted" and allowed the sub in - I said you should have hit your whistle and said "Let's play"...you said after "yelling" at the scorekeeper, he apologized - I said you should have discussed it calmly...so as Dan pointed out, it's the "Ya but" syndrome...I'm sorry if I offended you, it was certainly not meant to...
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

A better temprament comes with doing more games (experence).

Because up until now you have not read between the line, I'll be a little more blunt.

Cool it! You're taking it too seriously. Let them into the game- laugh it off and realize it is part of working Jr. High. Sometimes we all know the rules but how to enforce them is what makes good officials.

Trust me (because I'm still there) relax and enjoy the game. I was the same way on the softball fields. If there was a minor infraction or a way to enforce a little know rule I was right there to do it. Then I started doing men's fast pitch. In three years I have yet to see a legally throw pitch not to mention all of the other violations. Some are important and most are not. I have now umped two ASA National Tournaments and am a better official.

Water rolling off a duck's back!
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And what's the big deal about just letting the sub in? If the ball isn't in the hands of the thrower-in, I *want* the scorer hitting the horn.

Unless a team is obviously working the "staggered sub" thing to delay the game or to intentionally annoy me, the sub comes in.

Matter of fact, if there's a sub heading towards the table, I consider it good game management to wait and whistle the sub in. Your partner's last two looks before administering the throw-in should be to the table and then to you.

Most of my games are at the high school varsity level -- at lower levels I'm *definitely* not sweating this.

Rich