The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I guess that just shows that I should stop commenting on women's games!!

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:51am
In Memoriam

Wink Well, ...I tried to bail you out.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Rule 10-14.6: After an intentional technical foul, the ball will be returned to play at the closest spot, rather than half court. Rationale: With this change, the ball will now be returned to play from the closest spot to the foul after all technical fouls. It is more consistent.

Chuck,
Is going to midcourt something new, or was that last year?
Darn punk, smart-aleck, kids. Make me go and actually read my rulebook. . . if I can find it. . . Ok, here it is. Blow the dust off it. . .

To be serious, mick, you must have kind of an old rule book. I even looked in last year's NCAA book, and the rule was the same last year as what I mentioned earlier. Intentional technical fouls (which are, by rule, dead ball non-flagrant contact fouls) are penalized by two FTs and possession at midcourt. The reference in the 2003 NCAA book is 10-14-1.

My confusion stems from the fact that the women still use the spot closest to where the foul occured for intentional T's. So in the game we're discussing, the officials were correct NOT to put the ball in at midcourt; however, they still should have given possession after the technical FTs to the team that was on the receiving end of the elbow.

Chuck
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...es_update.html
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Well, ...I tried to bail you out.

If you were really trying to bail me out, you could've mentioned that it was a men's/women's rule difference!!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Well, ...I tried to bail you out.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If you were really trying to bail me out, you could've mentioned that it was a men's/women's rule difference!!
Mea culpa.
I thought maybe you had new information.
Didn't know.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
willie - there were two technical fouls on was on a player , and another on Geno.

I agree with Bart, it appears that the official who called the technical on the player called it a direct and they went with the POI, which would be the correct procedure.
Thanks Secondyear...

I did not watch much of the second half... I did see the T on the Coach. But as I mentioned earlier, ESPN.com box score does not indicate ANY T's....

Willie
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree the diff. section allows us to call an intentional T for a dead ball contact foul, I read the diff. of indirect/direct T's on page 65 which states a direct T may involve dead ball contact. Keep in mind this is a seperate Art. than the intentional T Art. Bottom line I believe we may call just a T or an intentional T for dead ball contact.