The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Visual Count for 3-seconds? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7283-visual-count-3-seconds.html)

UrbanAssignorIV Sat Feb 01, 2003 06:34pm

Men`s Rec league, NCAA rules

Our supervisor just informed us that after working with some officials from "out of town" he picked up "the new mechanic" of visually counting 3-seconds in the lane. I knew something was wrong with this, but he is convinced this is better. Please help me on this one, I absolutely know it is NOT the proper mechanic and don`t need to be quoted from the rule book. What would be helpful is WHY it is inappropriate and what sacrifices are there to other officiating concerns?

So far I have:

1) A1 and A2 in lane simultaneously, each entering at a different time. 2 counts?
2) A1 in lane, A3 closely guarded by B1 right next to you. Again 2 counts looks bad?
3) Coach sees you reach count of 3, but A1 is "going to the hole", coach questions why "you let him go".
4) Looks like you`re focused only on count, while more important concerns (post play, off-ball fouls,etc.) take a back seat.

Please load me up with more, I need to take this back to "The Boss".

mick Sat Feb 01, 2003 06:41pm

Welcome to the board.
Sorry, can't help you.
My visible counts often start after "3".

Jurassic Referee Sat Feb 01, 2003 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by UrbanAssignorIV
What would be helpful is WHY it is inappropriate and what sacrifices are there to other officiating concerns?

So far I have:

1) A1 and A2 in lane simultaneously, each entering at a different time. 2 counts?
2) A1 in lane, A3 closely guarded by B1 right next to you. Again 2 counts looks bad?
3) Coach sees you reach count of 3, but A1 is "going to the hole", coach questions why "you let him go".
4) Looks like you`re focused only on count, while more important concerns (post play, off-ball fouls,etc.) take a back seat.

"The Boss"? :D

You have more than enough reasons in the four that you quoted above.What do you do if you have three offensive players in the lane?:D-LOL! Of course,this is all on top of the extremely explicit language in the NCAA rulebook that says that the count is always silent(both Mens & Womens).I realize that you know that-it's too bad that "The Boss" doesn't. Good luck with "The Boss". You'll probably need it!

just another ref Sun Feb 02, 2003 01:06am

Tell your supervisor that nobody on this board counts at all on 3 seconds, let alone visually. There are all sorts of ways to spot this particular violation, but maybe it's a regional thing, because I have never seen a lot of them. I
have never seen a player actually "camp out" in the lane. I have never seen a player "pitch a tent" in the lane. I have never seen a player actually stay in the lane "all day long." I have never seen a player in the lane with spider webs anywhere on his person. The best way that I find to know when the violation occurs, is when the coach/teammates of the player yell at him: "Get out of the lane, Bubba, you big _________!" You can go ahead and whistle it, his train is overdue.

Tim Roden Sun Feb 02, 2003 01:19am

My count is verbal.
32, get out of the lane.
Get out of the lane!
32 yea you. get out of the lane!!
tweet.

I want to know what rule book coaches and fans are reading that has in its POE. 3 seconds.

BktBallRef Sun Feb 02, 2003 01:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
What do you do if you have three offensive players in the lane? :D-LOL!
Imagine the possibilities! :D

mick Sun Feb 02, 2003 08:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
My count is verbal.

I like it.

dhodges007 Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by UrbanAssignorIV
What would be helpful is WHY it is inappropriate and what sacrifices are there to other officiating concerns?

So far I have:

"The Boss"? :D

You have more than enough reasons in the four that you quoted above.What do you do if you have three offensive players in the lane?:D-LOL! Of course,this is all on top of the extremely explicit language in the NCAA rulebook that says that the count is always silent(both Mens & Womens).I realize that you know that-it's too bad that "The Boss" doesn't. Good luck with "The Boss". You'll probably need it!

Use your leg for the third person.