The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

When is the clock suppose to start after the ball has been inbounded? Last night in a game the clock was not started on the inbound pass. Whose responsibilty is it to start the clock. Clock keeper,himself, or the refs?

Would be nice if you would also post the answer on the 3,2,1a girls board on Texashoops.com.

Thank you.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

In my games the is SUPPOSED to start when I or my partner chops in the time. But it actually starts when the timer pushes the button. Last nights game the timer was apparently distracted and after hearing the hollering that the clock didn't start, I looked up and sure enough, the clock wasn't running. At that point, I was counting for a closely guarded play and then they threw the ball out of bounds. Since I had knowledge of some of the time that didn't run off the clock I had the timer take that time off of the clock. If I hadn't had a count going it would just be sorry coach!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Joe is right - the clock should start when the official signals the clock to start.

However, the rule for when the clock should start is when the ball is touched by or touches a player on the court after it has been released on a throw-in pass. If after a missed free throw, the clock should start when touched by or it touches a player on the court.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

If the player on the court immediately calls time out after she touches the ball,should time have run off the clock. In the instance,I am talking about there was 3 seconds left in regulation with the score tied. It would have gone into overtime no matter what.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on how fast the timer is on the trigger, and how soon the whistle blows in recognition of the time-out. I would say that in the situation you described if there wasn't tenths of seconds on the clock that one second could feasably run off of the clock. The officials could put time back on the clock if they felt no time should have run off.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

In a NFHS game we must also take into account one second of "lag time". In your sitch this means that the ball must be legally inbounded to a player (clock starts), then once the player controls the ball time-out is requested, then the official grants time-out (clock stops). Once the official grants the time-out there may be as much as one second run off before the timer stops the clock. I would suppose that any or all of the 3 sec. may run off the clock, but certainly some time must be consumed in this situation.

Was the request for time-out made before inbounding? If the request was made, and granted, before the thrower-in released the ball, then no time should be run off the clock even though the player subsequently (27 scrabble points for that word) releases the ball on the throw-in.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the inbounder was in the motion of inbounding when time was called. I do not believe that the person on the court had touched the ball. This same thing happened three times in a row. My team went on to win but the opposing team is dissatisfied with the way the game ended.Is there anything that they can do about the situation?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BBFAN
Is there anything that they can do about the situation?
Yeah,get a life! It's girls high school basketball, not the freaking NBA finals.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Yeah,get a life! It's girls high school basketball, not the freaking NBA finals.
Need a hug?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 06:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
Need a hug?
I think that I can sum to-day up in two words,Mick. F***ING WINTER!!!

I think that I'm either gonna fly South with the migratory birds-or maybe go up-river to spawn with the fish.I'll let you know as soon as I talk to my wife.

I'm back. She says that I'm for the birds. Figgers!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 06:07pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

I always have considered that to be one word.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

It is more like....

Quote:
Quote:

[/QUOTE]

It is more like.... F-F-F-F-Fr-FR-FRE-FREE-FREEZ-FREEZING W-W-W-WI-WIN-WINTER!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 11:49pm
In Memoriam

Re: It is more like....

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Quote:

It is more like.... F-F-F-F-Fr-FR-FRE-FREE-FREEZ-FREEZING W-W-W-WI-WIN-WINTER!
[/QUOTE]

Uh-uh. But really close.
If it wasn't for those cold Wisconsin winters we wouldn't have ice cream in the summer, that's July 27th U.P. here... sometimes.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Back to the question...

Quote:
I believe the inbounder was in the motion of inbounding when time was called. I do not believe that the person on the court had touched the ball. This same thing happened three times in a row. My team went on to win but the opposing team is dissatisfied with the way the game ended.Is there anything that they can do about the situation?
IF the team requesting a time-out (TO) was NOT the inbounding team, the TO request would not be acknowledged by the official because your the ball had been given to the inbounder prior to the request (this is a live ball situation where only the inbounding team can be granted a TO). Nor would the official grant the TO once the ball was inbounded, because it would STILL be in possession of the "non-requesting" team.

Make sense?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

For the NCAA interp of this play, turn on ESPN in the morning and watch sportscenter. You will see this play happen at end of the Pitt-Syracuse game. Syracuse scores to go up two and Pitt inbounds with 3.0 seconds left. Their player muffs the pass, the clock starts on his touch, but he is able to grab the ball and immediately call for time-out with 1.3 on the clock. The official blows the whistle and puts his hand up with .8 on the clock, yet the clock then runs out and the fans storm the floor. The officials went to the monitor and reset the clock to .8 for an endline throw-in. Pitt throws the ball about 60 feet, Knight catches, pumps once, and drains a 35 footer! Go to the monitor again, and it is late. Syracuse wins 67-65.