The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Let's say A1 and B1 are banging on each other pretty hard in the post. You verbally warn them to stop but they continue and you call a foul on each one of them. It has not happened to me yet but, just for peace of mind, would I go to the possesion arrow and award the team with the arrow the ball? Also what if one or both teams are in a bonus situation. I don't think we would shoot the shots but I'm just trying to make sure.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

You have it correct. Make sure that you make the proper signal for a double foul. Also, make a good preliminary call so the players and your partner know what the call is. When reporting the foul report "I have a double foul.. red 14 holding... white 54 pushing. We will go to the arrow for the throw in at the spot of the foul. This is a good call after you have given the players a warning. I made the call yesterday and it immediately cleaned up the post play. Be careful not to rely on this call when one player is clearly gaining the advantage on the post by the physical play. In other words it isn't always a double foul. Use the displacement factor to determine low block fouls. I see the defense penalized too much when the offensive player moves them off of their spot.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Double foul

Unless I am wrong the possession stays with the offensive team with no reset on the clock
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You are correct for NCAA, but not for NFHS.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:26pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

NFHS rules: Alternating possession.

NCAA: Ball remains with team that had control at the time the foul was called. If no control, go to the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I agree. We had it last night in a JH game. The call worked wonderfully. I saw the play from trail breifly and my partner caught it. Made the double foul call. It cleaned up play so that we at only six fouls with one minute to go in the second half.

We had several on purpose fouls(almost intentional) after that to get one team to the bonus so the other could mount a comeback. Great game. I don't remember when both coaches gave the officiating such high praise. I think they were just use to so many rookies calling their games and not cleaning up the post.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
NCAA: Ball remains with team that had control at the time the foul was called. If no control, go to the arrow.
Yikes.

Don't think we did that the other night . . .