The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:57am
9 times

I worked a boys V game last night with a newer V official, he's pretty good and has a real future, IMO. The game was between the 1st and last place teams in the region. We talked about the coaches in our pregame. The last place team's coach wants to know what guys are made of. I have worked him several times so he leaves me alone, but I told my partner to be ready for him to attack. Partner makes a call in 2Q that V's coach doesn't like and he starts in on him. Partner does a preety good job of difusing the situation and, other than minor chirping we get to half.

At half we talk about V's coach (trailing 38-20) and what he has done and how to handle him. Partner says he's got it under control. I tell him I'll get the coach for doing something behind his back, etc. and partner assures me he will handle coach. As 3Q goes on, chirping gets worse. Coach gets really mad a couple of times in 2nd half and partner just tries to talk him down. finally with about 30 sec left in the game, partner makes a call against V, I get players lined up for 1+1 and look to table and V's coach is at the midcourt line yelling at partner. I put whistle in my mouth (to call T) and partner syas to me, "I've got it." I think good he'll T and we'll go on. Nope. Pushes the coach back to the bench, we shoot the shots and the game ends uneventfully.

When we get to the locker room, I asked him why no T? He told me that there were only 30 sec left and he didn't want to call it then. Why not? The coach clearly deserved one, was waaaayyyy out of the box and yelling at him. If there was ever a justified T, this was it. IMO, partner lost any credibility he might have had with both coaches by not pulling the trigger. I was amazed. I have heard this philosophy more than once, why do we perpetuate it?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019