The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Tuesday night was watching our Stillwater boys varsity game. Good close game (we won by 2). We came out of a time out in the 4th quarter with 6 men. Ball put in play and a quick T was called. I was sitting by a couple of friends who are refs. I said I realized it was the team's responsibility to get the correct number of players on the court, but wouldn't have happened if the refs had counted the players. (got that from following this board). They said they never do, but some may do it as a courtesy to the teams? Got me to wondering, do most who post here do player counts? If so, when (only when subs come in, after time outs??). Is this mentioned in the officials handbooks, or was it just picked up for better game management? Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I have never heard an official say they do not count players. Do it religiously. If there are six on the court it is our fault, still a technical, but I should not have put the ball in play with six. Now, if one comes off the bench directly onto the court during play, different deal.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLC
Tuesday night was watching our Stillwater boys varsity game. Good close game (we won by 2). We came out of a time out in the 4th quarter with 6 men. Ball put in play and a quick T was called. I was sitting by a couple of friends who are refs. I said I realized it was the team's responsibility to get the correct number of players on the court, but wouldn't have happened if the refs had counted the players. (got that from following this board). They said they never do, but some may do it as a courtesy to the teams? Got me to wondering, do most who post here do player counts? If so, when (only when subs come in, after time outs??). Is this mentioned in the officials handbooks, or was it just picked up for better game management? Thanks.
It's in the mechanics manuals -- count every time.

Sometimes it doesn't help. Had a sub (A6) report just as my partner was ready to inbound the ball. Horn sounded, player ran on the court. I looked, and B2 had the ball in play.

Blew the whistle and got the partners together -- no one had beckoned the sub, B1 had the ball for the throw-in before the horn.

No choice but to issue the T. A coach wasn't happy.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Let's SEE

LAST NIGHT

Seton Hall/Georgetown

Hall had SIX players on the court for :08. EACH TEAM scored during the time.

So with three officials, numerous assistant coaches, two head coaches, 11 (I counted) scoring area personel . . . not ONE person noticed the problem. Someone wasn't counting.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I would have to say that I don't count the players everytime. I do, however, always count after a time out, or when there is multiple substitutions.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Dallas.

We count constantly. Five fingers spread and held up from each hand by the off official is mandatory to get the ball in play. Signaled to the "on" official with eye contact.

Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I count every time there are subs and after every time-out.

Z
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

visible count of the players?

Do you perform a visble count of players? pointing at each one or nodding to show everyone that you are counting them? or do you do this in your head?

GW
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: visible count of the players?

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
Do you perform a visble count of players? pointing at each one or nodding to show everyone that you are counting them? or do you do this in your head?

GW
Everytime a whistle is blown. I do it in my head, but I keep my hand up to my partner until I am ready.

My two sense!
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Either way. Personally I do SHOW the index finger pointing out players. Takes just a second.

I want everyone including co-Official to know I'm doing it.

Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Like Z, I count after TOs and whenever there are subs. I also point to each player. If somebody sees me holding up play, I want them to know why I'm holding up play.

On Monday, had a GREAT game #1 team in the region vs a local team that is always very good. First half, we get subs, and I'm counting players. I'm directly in front of visitor's bench and the head coach says, very quietly, "Chuck, you're holding up my play". I just answered honestly, "Sorry, Coach, but I've already been burned once this year. Just making sure." And he was fine with it.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mia copa, mia copa, I try but sometimes I slipup. It happened to me this past weekend in a rec game between 2 “special” teams. One girl did not leave the court and I was the one who put the ball back in play. A moron parent (I really should not use moron in this case) starts yelling that we have to penalize, his word, the other team for having 6 on the court. The next thing I hear several voices telling him to shut-up.

Luckily it has not happen to me above the rec level, good partners I guess.

This really should be part of the pre game, who will count O and who will have D on a throw-in.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Count just before every live ball. Unless I'm thinking about something else. Which is becoming less and less frequent.