The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 03:34pm
Suppref

Smile

A1 & B1 jump to start game. A1 taps ball towards sideline. (a) A2 (b)B2, in an attempt to secure possesion taps ball out of bounds. Which team gets the arrow? I know the "double whammy" happen if there is a violation on the jump, does that apply here too?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Suppref:
A1 & B1 jump to start game. A1 taps ball towards sideline. (a) A2 (b)B2, in an attempt to secure possesion taps ball out of bounds. Which team gets the arrow? I know the "double whammy" happen if there is a violation on the jump, does that apply here too?

When A2 or B2 taps the ball OOB it is awarded to the opposing team for a throw in.
Since merely tapping the ball does not establish team possession, there has been no team possession. When the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower for a throw in, the arrow is set toward the opponent of the thrower-in. This starts the alternating possession.
As I recall the term "thrower-in" makes some people on this discussion board feel like they want to "thrower-up". But for lack of a better term I'll use it and hope not to offend too many.

Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Schmidt MJ:
When A2 or B2 taps the ball OOB it is awarded to the opposing team for a throw in.
Since merely tapping the ball does not establish team possession, there has been no team possession. When the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower for a throw in, the arrow is set toward the opponent of the thrower-in. This starts the alternating possession.
As I recall the term "thrower-in" makes some people on this discussion board feel like they want to "thrower-up". But for lack of a better term I'll use it and hope not to offend too many.

To simplify, and avoid use of the term "thrower-in" (which does make me feel like thrower-upping) I'll use inbounder.

In your situation, whatever team taps the ball OOB gets the arrow. The team that didn't tip the ball OOB gets posession with a throw-in at the spot where the ball went OOB.

Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Cool

In reply to your question....the way that I have read this is that both A and B knocked the ball out of bounds. This being the case, and that there is no team control of this ball, then you have a REJUMP. Now had A gained control, and then lost it out of bounds...then B would get the ARROW and the throw-in.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget to have A2 and B2 rejump. They were the last ones to touch the ball out of bounds.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Don't forget to have A2 and B2 in the circle to rejump. They were the last players to touch the ball at the same time and caused the ball to go out of bounds. I just read this play in the NCAA manual last night.

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I guess I read the original question as having two parts. In the first situation, A2 tapped the ball OOB, in the second situation B2 tapped the ball OOB. My answer was based on this line of thinking. However, if the ball was tapped OOB simultaneously by A2 & B2, then yes, there would be a re-jump at the center circle bewtween A2 & B2. And since there still has been no team possession estabished, the arrow would be set following the results of the second jumpball (assuming it was not tapped OOB simultaneously again). Ha Ha!
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 11:39am
Suppref

Thanks for your unput. This was indeed a two part question, so MJ and Mark you win the cigar. Have fun - Suppref