The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Boys Basketball. A question about shot clock. Team A has ball and AP arrow is pointing to A. A1's shot lodges in basket flange. Team A is awarded ball as result of Apo arrow. Is shot clock reset? Any specific rule or code reference as all I get are opinions.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjaw2
Boys Basketball. A question about shot clock. Team A has ball and AP arrow is pointing to A. A1's shot lodges in basket flange. Team A is awarded ball as result of Apo arrow. Is shot clock reset? Any specific rule or code reference as all I get are opinions.
Not an official ruling by any means but logically, this is how I might think about this.

Wouldn't the touching precede the violation? Which one happened first? The ball touched the rim, shot clock is reset, then the violation happened because the ball was then stuck.

You will probably get an official answer from someone here who uses a shot clock (and has actually officiated in the last year).

Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

There are shot clock procedures listed at IAABO.org.
Click on "charts" and click "shot clock."

The shot clock is NOT reset in your example since the OFFENSIVE team is again awareded the ball.

PS I have no idea what mikesears is talking about??
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

The next question:

Where will the throw-in occur for A?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
PS I have no idea what mikesears is talking about??
I've been out of officiating for a year or two and never had to deal with a shot clock. Logically, it would seem that the shot clock would be reset (but I guess logic only goes so far). Also, NCAA rules differ from other rule sets, so it would be interesting to know how the NCAA would handle this.

Thats the reason I said that what I said was unofficial.

Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 2-13
Article 6-d A.R. 29 has your situation.
The shot clock is reset.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Marty, the shot clock resets b/c the ball struck the rim on a try. The ball then lodges between the rim and the backboard. So that creates the held ball. Team A gets the ball back (due to the arrow) on the endline from a designated spot.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Marty, the shot clock resets b/c the ball struck the rim on a try. The ball then lodges between the rim and the backboard. So that creates the held ball. Team A gets the ball back (due to the arrow) on the endline from a designated spot.

Chuck
So if a pass is deflected by the defense up into the air and gets stuck in between the rim & backboard, no reset?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
So if a pass is deflected by the defense up into the air and gets stuck in between the rim & backboard, no reset?
That's right, Coach. Shot clock resets when the the ball hits the rim during a try (NCAA 2-13-6.d).
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Here in Washington State we use a shot clock for girl's basketball and the clock is reset anytime there is a held ball regardless of which team gets possession.

Z
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I like the NBA's thinking on this topic. When there's a held ball, the players jump and if the offense retains possession, the shot clock either remains where it is, or gets reset to 14, whichever is greater. I like this, b/c if the shot clock is down to 2, it still gives the offense time to run a play. But it doesn't give them a full reset, which might give a bigger advantage than it should. Just my opinion.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
In the original post, I "envisioned" a try being thrown up and landing (sticking) in the rim. It said nothing about the ball bouncing off the rim and then lodging in the flange. Would these two "events" be the same, or different?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the original post, I "envisioned" a try being thrown up and landing (sticking) in the rim. It said nothing about the ball bouncing off the rim and then lodging in the flange. Would these two "events" be the same, or different?
I cannot envision any situation where the ball would lodge before it touches the rim. The physics of the situation would are such that the ball has to touch the rim, and then get lodged. So...I believe they are the same question.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ball doesn't need to strike the rim - the shot clock shall be reset "When a try for goal strikes the ring or flange" (2-13.6d. and A.R. 29). (Emphasis mine). By getting stuck, the ball has touched the flange.