The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigfoot81
Question

Last Friday night I saw a high school girls basketball game in which I thought the official carried his duities a little too far.

Here's what happened: I was taking the stats at the table for my younger sister's high school basketball game. It was a Friday night home game against the number one team in their league. Big game. The announcer was a high school kid, but in my opinion, pretty responisble. On one play, the official called traveling on the visiting team. The announcer said, "Too many steps!" over the PA and the official told him, "No! Just say traveling" Later on in the game my sister happened to foul out and the announcer said that she had commited her 5th foul and had to leave the game. About 30 seconds later, a member of the visiting team fouled out and the announcer said pretty much the same thing. The same official came up to him and told him that he needed to call the game neutral.

Now, I'm not saying he was a bad official, but it's my opinion that he was concerned with things that really didn't affect the game that much and he should've just let the announcer go. The announcer wasn't saying anything abusive, personal, or deroggatory about the officiating, players, or coaches. Besides, there were administrators from both high schools present and the home administrator sits right behind the table.

What does everyone think? Was this official in line with what he did? Should an official be concerned with the announcing of a basketball game? When should an official step in and curb the announcer?
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Never !

Well beyond his authority. Perhaps he was an announcer trainer too!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Seems to me that the official had too much time on his hands. Personally, when I am working a game, I have plenty of things to watch and be aware of...the words of any announcer would not be on that list. As long as the announcer is not being derogatory or inciting the fans in the stands, then the official should have absolutely nothing to say. In my opinion, this official should be spoken to (quietly and privately, of course) by someone of authority within the organization.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot81

What does everyone think? Was this official in line with what he did?
I'll let you know as soon as the official posts his version of the story.

I learned that one a long time ago.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Never !

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Well, I agree that he went beyond his authority, I won't go as far as to say an official should never address an announcer. There are times when an announcer's behavior can become an issue.

Several years ago, I was officiating an christian college game. The PA announcer decided to do play by play. The second time that he said, "There's a foul but no call!" I stopped the game and explained that his comments were inappropriate.

Never say never, Downtown.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:59pm
Livin' The Dream

Not his problem . . . . unless the announcer starts making the calls BEFORE HE Does, which I heard happened at a local high school here. The announcer called the ball out of bounds when in fact the player had been fouled and forced out and was sposed to shoot free throws. Confusion ensued and the crowd got ugly. The official should let game administration handle the situation. My two cents.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

It is also inappropriate to use the PA system to lead a cheer.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: Re: Never !

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Well, I agree that he went beyond his authority, I won't go as far as to say an official should never address an announcer. There are times when an announcer's behavior can become an issue.

Several years ago, I was officiating an christian college game. The PA announcer decided to do play by play. The second time that he said, "There's a foul but no call!" I stopped the game and explained that his comments were inappropriate.

Never say never, Downtown.
too funny

My two sense!
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
It is also inappropriate to use the PA system to lead a cheer.
By what rules or guidelines?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Because of an issue partially caused by an announcer's incitement, our county instituted a policy whereby only school staff can announce high school games - all sports.

For basketball, we're very lucky. We have a counselor who plays music during breaks, and announces not only the player who a foul was called on, but also the number of fouls on the player, and the number of team fouls at that point. He works in close coordination with the scorebook keeper and scoreboard operator. Very professional.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would ignore this. His announcing had no affect on the game. He was using the “street” lingo that kids are used to hearing. As long as he was not showing up the players, coaches and officials, I have no problem with this.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
In our assoc. the use of the PA to lead a cheer would be using an artificial noisemaker. I don't remember the exact rule number.

Of course the "big voice" will give a little more emphasis when a home player scores. I've no problem with that. But some folks have already noted inappropriate actions via PA & these actions could incite the crowd.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

One game earlier this year the announcer said "...at the line shooting a pair." On my next trip down the court past him, I told him she was shooting a basketball and not a pear. Got a chuckle out of him anyway.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

Cant imagine if that ref was doing a game with chick hearn at the table.

Chick , "Here comes Magic, yo-yoing up and down!

NO, THATS DRIBBLING!!
YOU HAVE TO CALL IT DRIBBLING!!
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kidmarauder03
Cool My Story

My name is Daniel. I was the announcer of this high school basketball incident. And this is a little more detailed about what happened... ( I won't use names of players, but I'll use school names.)

Mira Mesa Lady Marauders vs. Kearny Lady Komets ; January 24th, 2003. It was a pretty evenly matched game throughout. However, with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter, the score table has to call an official timeout.... The 30-second shot clock is not working. It reset back to 30 but it won't go back down. We have to use a stopwatch for the remainder of the period, which was a drag because I had to, according to the head referee, speak into the PA in multiples of 5 until 10 and then count down to zero. Then, during that stopwatch tenure, there was a travel called on Kearny.
Now, me being the announcer and that the call was against the visiting team and that we had a pretty good crowd on hand, when i say "ToooooooOOOOOO many steps!!", it usually incites the crowd. Being the situation we were in, the ref whistled and yelled from the far sideline to not say that because "It gets confusing when i say "too" and he thinks I'm counting down to "two".
He was way out of line. Then, not even a minute later, I say something else that is not even close to derogatory or insulting to either team or to the refs and the ref stops the game and comes over to the table and "puts his foot down" and tells me to call the game as if I was neutral. What the heck is this guy talkin about? And then, he left the table as if he just got his way. I still went on with my announcing routine and made calls a little more enthusiatically for the home team. That's kind of what all announcers do.

What do you think? Tell me anything. Or if anybody has any constructive criticism. please tell me. thanx for reading.