The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 17, 2000, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Question

Does the ball have to leave the players hands or touch the rim for the clock to restart?
Old Sat Jun 17, 2000, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
Does the ball have to leave the players hands or touch the rim for the clock to restart?

For the shot clock to be reset, the ball must hit the rim (or a violation/foul, etc.) - in your situation, it is reset on the rim.

However, if the ball leaves the player's hands before the horn, then touches the rim or goes in, there is no violation. If the player releases, horn, then airball - it is a violation.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2000, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter:
For the shot clock to be reset, the ball must hit the rim (or a violation/foul, etc.) - in your situation, it is reset on the rim.

However, if the ball leaves the player's hands before the horn, then touches the rim or goes in, there is no violation. If the player releases, horn, then airball - it is a violation.

Mark,
You should be wearing stripes and a whistle pretty darn soon!
mick

[This message has been edited by mick (edited June 18, 2000).]
Old Mon Jun 19, 2000, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

One other point. If there is a change of team control prior to horn, no violation. This can happen quickly, as in team A airball, clean rebound team B, immediately followed by horn. Should play on if control was established by B before horn. If B controls after horn, violation.
Old Mon Jun 19, 2000, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach:
One other point. If there is a change of team control prior to horn, no violation. This can happen quickly, as in team A airball, clean rebound team B, immediately followed by horn. Should play on if control was established by B before horn. If B controls after horn, violation.

Quick clarification. If B gets the ball after A's shot clock horn, it is a violation on A - stop play, and give the ball to team B for an inbounds. (Yes, somewhat stupid, but that's the way things are.)
Old Mon Jun 19, 2000, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mick:

Mark,
You should be wearing stripes and a whistle pretty darn soon!
mick

[This message has been edited by mick (edited June 18, 2000).]

Well, local IAABO is looking for new refs (what boards aren't :-) ?) Unfortunately, their mention in the paper says you must be 18 or over (I'm only 17, and will turn 18 near the end of the 2000-2001 season). I think I will call and try to sneak in, on the basis that many of the varsity refs know me from my doing clock (I get quite a few compliments), and based on the fact that the board's president's son is an alum of my school [and is also an NBA ref].

Thanks for the compliment,
Mark

Old Mon Jun 19, 2000, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hey guys remember peeps from all over the world are reading this so don't forget about FIBA (international) rules...

In our rules...once the ball leaves the hand of the shoot for a legit shot for goal the shot clock (30 for us..men and ladies) is reset...which means the horn SHOULD NEVER sound with the ball in the air...

CHRIS
THE BAHAMAS

------------------
Old Tue Jun 20, 2000, 12:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter:
[B I think I will call and try to sneak in,... based on the fact that the board's president's son is an alum of my school.
[/B]

This is called the theory of relativity.