The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I saw it Friday night,

Girls varsity, not a close game by any means. Officials are calling things close and keeping a tight rein on the game, both ways. H1 (losing) steals the ball and is racing for a layup, V1 (winning) catches her and as H1 is bringing the ball up for the layup V1 gets a firm hand on the ball. This is about waist or chest high. Very athletic H1 continues the motion with V1. V1's hand comes off the ball and H1 makes the basket. Tweet, thumbs up for a held ball. No basket, went to the arrow. Mild mannered H head coach recieves first T I've ever seen him get.

Wow, Stan
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Wow, gutsy call. I feel a "Coach, I'm sorry. I should have held my whistle and let the play develop." Let him vent a little and resume the game.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down UM um um.

As I have been having a similar discussion thread going on I'm going to say....

Wow! Wrong call.

Definitely can see how it could happen but the rule (4-25-2)specifically states "prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try."

Perhaps the call was made during the approach for the try rather during the airborne phase.

Home Coach has every right to be upset. Hopefully the official was in a good position to make the call and not 3 steps behind the players. Yes, apology was needed... sorry I took two points away from your team, sorry I took away the arrow, sorry I took away your posession, sorry I discredited your girl for the big steal she had just made. I SHOULD HAVE HELD MY WHISTLE A BIT LONGER AND SEEN THE ENTIRE PLAY.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: UM um um.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Hopefully the official was in a good position to make the call and not 3 steps behind the players.
DTTB and whistleone,

The official was in position, they both (two whistles) were doing a good job. As you both said, I think in their effort to control the game they were too quick with this call. Just goes to show that one aw$h!1 erases 1000 attaboys.

Stan
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Of course we weren't there, but if that happens to me (and I hope to God it never does), I'm making a beeline for the Home coach, letting him know immediately the whistle was too quick, and letting him vent as much as he wants without swearing or calling me a *&%^$#@.

He's losing, badly by all accounts, and we take away a basket with a less-than-desirable whistle....this is one of those times where we have to give it up, admit our mistake, and avoid giving the coach a T unless he REALLY goes overboard (especially given his history).

Important for the crew afterwards to also remember that they called a hell of a game, and kept control in a blowout situation (which can be sticky).

Yikes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Wow!

In our game Saturday night, (girls 7th & 8th grades), the officials were VERY slow with whistles. At one point I was tempted to try the Heimlich, thinking that the whistles must have been swallowed. Asside from one of the officials thinking he needed to be positioned between the foul line and his side of mid court whenever the ball was in play, both refs held their whistles forever on jump balls. All the other teams of officials we have seen over the last three years blow the whistle in about a second of "joint" possession for girls' games. These guys averaged closer to three seconds. That only contributed to the rough play. What a nightmare.

I know I would have been really upset to lose the layup in the original post in this thread, but I'd trade a quick whistle in a heartbeat for what we had this last game.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
I know I would have been really upset to lose the layup in the original post in this thread, but I'd trade a quick whistle in a heartbeat for what we had this last game.
Good point, Butch. Getting on those loose ball tie-ups before the bodies start flying too much is good preventative officiating. And let's face it, especially in girls' ball, 9/10 times those tie-ups are the result of somebody reaching in, so AP can be a good tool to keep control without racking up the foul count.

But I think there's a difference between those sit's and the one described here. On layups or shot attempts, I think you have to wait until the play develops to see if it's REALLY a held ball or not. It's like they say: anticipate the play but not the call.