The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm thinking about attending a camp this summer. I have a few questions and would like to know what the rest of you think.

First of all, I'm a rookie and will probably only want to do rec league stuff next year (I'm in school for another two years, and don't have time to work more than once a week). Would a camp benefit me at this point, or should I wait until I get more serious about it?

I see a few camps listed on the 'net hosted by big names. Do I want to attend one of these, or is there a better option for me? I do want to do NCAA, one day. But my immediate goal is only to improve, not to be "seen."

Are there any good camps in the west? I'm in Utah and don't really want to travel thousands of miles.

Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I'm thinking about attending a camp this summer. I have a few questions and would like to know what the rest of you think.

First of all, I'm a rookie and will probably only want to do rec league stuff next year (I'm in school for another two years, and don't have time to work more than once a week). Would a camp benefit me at this point, or should I wait until I get more serious about it?

I see a few camps listed on the 'net hosted by big names. Do I want to attend one of these, or is there a better option for me? I do want to do NCAA, one day. But my immediate goal is only to improve, not to be "seen."

Are there any good camps in the west? I'm in Utah and don't really want to travel thousands of miles.

Thanks!
We have a great camp here in Tucson, AZ. Two D1 officials put it on, but it is an improvement camp and not a camp to be "seen" at, like a D1 camp is. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you some more info. Also, check with your local HS organization. They may have an "improvement" camp that they host.

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
We have a great camp here in Tucson, AZ. Two D1 officials put it on, but it is an improvement camp and not a camp to be "seen" at, like a D1 camp is. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you some more info. Also, check with your local HS organization. They may have an "improvement" camp that they host.
I would like info. Thank you.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I'm in Utah. Email me and I'll give you the lowdown on the local camps.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Dave Hall (D1 official out of Denver - has at least one finals championship game under his belt) puts on a decent camp in Logan - early June for the last few years.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Me too

I'm also a first-year official looking for a camp at which to get better. Anyone know of any good camps in the Southern Ontario area?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

North East

Same question...anyone know of any camps in PA?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

As a 2nd year guy, I got a lot out of JB Caldwell's camp in Daytona Florida. You get some class room instruction and about 3 games a day so they dont run your legs off of you.

It's held in conjunction with the Embry Riddle Camp. All High School Varsity boys and some Reserve. 3-man was taught / reviewed. Class size was about 1 instructor to 2 campers for the week. Weekend session was I think 1-3. Still good ratios. NBADL, NCAA D 1 & 2 and veteran High School officials made up the instructors. Probably about 1/2 of your games are filmed and you can review them with your partners or any instructor.

If you are a Florida guy, especially an east coast Florida guy and in your 1st-3rd year .....go. Several major high school assignors were there watching or helping with the camp.

Anyone from Ohio hear anything about Bova's camp this year?

Larks - VIT