The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

There has been a lot of talk lately about "T"s so I have another thought.My partner called a "T" on a J.V. coach the other night and I was a long ways away so I had to ask him later what happened.He said the coach started with you guys missed the foul on my guy again down here and then went to you guys are making horrible calls.Thats when he banged him.I think he did great and I told him when the coach only wants to make it personal and doesn't want to ask questions he is asking for it.The other coach had things to say and I had no problem listening to him because you was the second thing he said as in do you think my big guy got smacked down there?Bottom line is I think most times a coach starting out with you or you guys is on thin ice.Agree or disagree out there? Go Raider Nation!
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

to T or not to T

I have reffed small Lutheran grade school games for eight years. This year is my first year doing large schools and public schools as well as freshman and JV. I have never T'd a coach before. Usually I just take it. I guess I'm a newbie in the sense that this is the first year all the other refs and coaches aren't my 'buddies.' A coach yelled at me this year, 'Jesus Christ, you guys haven't gotten a single call right all night.' I blew him off and suggested to him after the game that as a Christian school coach, he may think about setting a better example. Is this one that should have automatically been T'd? In retrospect, I believe I should have.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

this is a tough situation to deal with because on this forum, not everyone is going to call a T on a coach/ player for the same situation. it will be handled in some cases, in many different ways. I m a firm believer in preventative officiating, in that i try to give the coach the benefit of the doubt and let the outcome be decided by the players, but once the coach has crossed MY fine line, then hes getting the seat belt to the bench. Its important to communicate with the coach. This starts before the ball is tossed up. I give the coach automatic respect because hes out there to coach the kids, and i exspect him/her to respect me in that my officiating abilities. but once, disrespect has found its way into the game, then it needs to be addressed. i generally only communicate with him briefly on calls that are unusual, but if its a travel, double dribble, you might as well forget it. ( a travel, is a travel)so when a coach asks what you saw when his player was called for foul, you can simply, and quickly respond,"he got him from behind, coach." hope this helps...
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: to T or not to T

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
A coach yelled at me this year, 'Jesus Christ, you guys haven't gotten a single call right all night.' I blew him off and suggested to him after the game that as a Christian school coach, he may think about setting a better example. Is this one that should have automatically been T'd? In retrospect, I believe I should have. [/B]

I am not quick to give technicals, nor do I carry my religious beliefs onto the court. IMHO - If a coach yelled "JC, blah, blah, blah call right all night", he/she would have earned that T. Since the coach wasn't setting an example, it would become my job.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

MPLAGROW,
If you are doing lutheran school basketball and a coach starts a statement with Jesus Christ...... how can you not whack him immediately. I mean he broke a commandment if nothing else. If that doesn't deserve a T I don't know what does! This is from a lutheran himself.
By the way, I don't care what game I am in if a coach takes the Lord's name in vain, I'm going to T him up. I'm not a religious zealot by any means but the coach should be setting an example for his players.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yeah, don't bring religion into it.

Confucious say, man with whistle blow. BOOP!!

Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

For my 2 cents worth, I detest unsporting behaviour and do not hesitate to assess T's when coaches exibit such behaviour. I am not against giving some warnings where appropriate but high school, ms, and rec coaches are not going to act like NCAA coaches (who have temper tantrems) when I ref a game and not receive the appropriate penalty. The minute Davis walked out on the court and approached that ref, he would have got it from me. He did not have one second coming. The ref gave a pretty T but should have been done faster. I believe it is called game management and one tool is the T used appropriately.

Anyways, Sat, doing a girs rec and I call traveling on a girl under the basket. One of the coaches, ex NCAA player stands up and hollowers for everyone in the gym and next door: "That's a horrible call". She got a T. No brainer. You can't ignore behaviour like that otherwise you just invite more disrespect and overbearing outbursts. (I actually enjoyed giving that T inside). Told em they had the seat belt the rest of the game. Partner tells me she was shocked and then they laughed about it.

Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Wink Whose call is it?

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
MPLAGROW,
If you are doing lutheran school basketball and a coach starts a statement with Jesus Christ...... how can you not whack him immediately. I mean he broke a commandment if nothing else. If that doesn't deserve a T I don't know what does! This is from a lutheran himself.
By the way, I don't care what game I am in if a coach takes the Lord's name in vain, I'm going to T him up. I'm not a religious zealot by any means but the coach should be setting an example for his players.
In my book, if a player or coach swears at me, the nature of the swear word (religious, sexual, biological, geneological, etc.), is of no interest. The penalty is always the same. It's not religion, it's basketball.

On the other hand, you gotta figure that God can call His own game. If He thought the particular swear word was out of line, He'll whack him again