The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
I agree with you canuckrefguy.
in FIBA is the same about the certain "look" for officials.
but i think that if you are not so tall like myself(1.74m)but you are a good refree you can be a professional refree.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

p.s
now,when someone will ask me :"Hi what is you'r hight?
i will say :"5ft 6in"...
it's sound taller than 1.74m...
i think i will try to Convert our metric system to Feet and inches...
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
One of the best officials I know is only about 5'7". But he is confident, has a great voice, excellent demeanor, and laser-sharp mechanics/signals. And he calls a great game.
Wow, Canuckref, I didn't realize we knew each other That's a joke. But I'm also 5'7" (roughly 1m 70cm). Maybe the similarity stops there. . .

I posted this story once, but I'll mention it again. When I went to camp this summer, Mickey Crowley was just talking to a bunch of us informally. He was saying that he hoped the camp would tell us what we need to do to "move up" to our desired level. So he looks right at me and says, "You? You need to grow about 6 inches!" It was obviously a joke, everybody laughed. We moved on.

But I'm not a real tall person, and I do have D1 aspirations. So on the last day of camp, I sought out Mickey and I asked him seriously how much my height would hold me back. His reply was close to the following:

"If you'd asked me 4 or 5 years ago, I'd have told you that you didn't have much of a chance. They were looking for guys with a very specific look. They wanted tall, athletic refs. They wanted the refs to resemble the players. But they came to realize that calling the game is much much more important than how the crew looks.

Now, if you were a 6'4" black guy who could run, then I'd have a home run. But if you can call a game, and understand what needs to be called, that's more important. I don't think you should worry about your height. If I were you, I wouldn't even think about it."

For what it's worth, I don't think he was just trying to make me feel better, either. Just my two cents.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I am 6'4" (dunno the metric conversion).

The reason I add this reply is that although I am fairly tall, I have a relatively thin build. I only go about a buck 85 on the the scales (dunno the metric conversion there either). I do try to use mechanics that will project strength and use good posture to my advantage. However, I have to say that I have the same concerns about a certain "look" when it comes to build as Romano does with height. I guess we all can't look like Ed Hochuli!

Has anyone dealt with this aspect?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mike Burns
Who is or what is Ed Hochuli?...
enywhy i agree with you
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
Hawks Coach
What do you think (as a coach)about the ref height ?
I care about how they handle the game - consistent calls, keeping up with and anticipating the play, good game management, knowing the rules, etc. Doesn't mater how tall you are to do that.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Ed Hochuli is an NFL (American Football) Ref that is in better shape than most of the players on the field.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO
The only true advantage to height is being able to have better vision in the Lead position. That being said, I belive that regardless of how tall an official is, they must work hard when officiating the post to get the right angle or position to officiate the play.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
Ed Hochuli is an NFL (American Football) Ref that is in better shape than most of the players on the field.
I remember a game that Ed worked earlier this season, where Larry Allen of the Cowboys (350 or so pounds) was bent over backwards and couldn't up/righted himself. Ed pulled him up and Pat Summerall commented that if Ed wasn't a weightlifter, there was not way he could have done that.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile

OK
NOW now i know Ed Hochuli !!
i can see that he is a good man...
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
I'd have to agree. Mike Carey is also in great shape. But Ed is very impressive. Both are very good officials as well.

PS - Ed refereed the Oakland-Tennessee game and Mike refereed the Tampa-Philly game.

PSS - Mike's brother, Don, was the back judge in the SB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

So as we all can see the official can be tall or short but he must be very good in the court!i'm not worry about my hight.what's more important is that you can call a game .
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
One other short official I just thought of. Randy McCall. Calls in the Mountain West Conference and others in that area. He is about 5'7". He has called Div 1 playoffs.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
One of the best officials I know is only about 5'7". But he is confident, has a great voice, excellent demeanor, and laser-sharp mechanics/signals. And he calls a great game.
Wow, Canuckref, I didn't realize we knew each other That's a joke. But I'm also 5'7" (roughly 1m 70cm). Maybe the similarity stops there. . .

I posted this story once, but I'll mention it again. When I went to camp this summer, Mickey Crowley was just talking to a bunch of us informally. He was saying that he hoped the camp would tell us what we need to do to "move up" to our desired level. So he looks right at me and says, "You? You need to grow about 6 inches!" It was obviously a joke, everybody laughed. We moved on.

But I'm not a real tall person, and I do have D1 aspirations. So on the last day of camp, I sought out Mickey and I asked him seriously how much my height would hold me back. His reply was close to the following:

"If you'd asked me 4 or 5 years ago, I'd have told you that you didn't have much of a chance. They were looking for guys with a very specific look. They wanted tall, athletic refs. They wanted the refs to resemble the players. But they came to realize that calling the game is much much more important than how the crew looks.

Now, if you were a 6'4" black guy who could run, then I'd have a home run. But if you can call a game, and understand what needs to be called, that's more important. I don't think you should worry about your height. If I were you, I wouldn't even think about it."

For what it's worth, I don't think he was just trying to make me feel better, either. Just my two cents.

Chuck
Good thread and I think Chuck is right on here. A few years ago, anybody under 6'2" would not even be considered for D1 Men's ball as a new official coming in. I think the pendulum is swinging back the other way and your officiating ability is the main driver now. I would say that as a "vertically challenged" official, you need to be really good to get past the presence or appearance bias.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Andy
i know it's a Good thread because i have the same "problem"
and i want to talk about that with you (all the others ref's)and see if you (the shorts ref's) have the same "problem" to.and now i know that the others think like myself about the hight of the officials.

[Edited by ROMANO on Jan 31st, 2003 at 12:57 AM]