The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   TALL REFREE/SHORT REFREE (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7153-tall-refree-short-refree.html)

ROMANO Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:13am

Do you belive that basketball refree must/should be tall?
my high is 1.74cm and many people told me that i'm not tall
ENOUGH !! what do you think about that?are all the officials in this forum 1.85cm?please tell me what you are thinking about the high of the official?
thanks..

RookieDude Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:21am

ROMANO...Convert your metric system to Feet and inches...you might get a better response. Remember, most of us are in the "backward" United States. ;)

I don't think it really matters how tall you are...it's how you call the game.
Having said that, there probably are some biases out there concerning ones looks and height...but isn't that true in all walks of life?

6'2" Dude w/ dark wavy hair :D

ROMANO Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:29am

I agree with you RookieDude
i know one thing :most of the best refrees are short..
p.s
6'2"=?(cm)

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:34am

Romano,I think that you meant 1.74m(metres),not 1.74cm.(centimeters). If you were 1.74 cm.high,you would be Chuck's height and you would have to live under a bridge somewhere.:D

Height certainly isn't a relevant requirement to be a good official,as far as I'm concerned.However,I have heard that the NBA is now looking for certain physical requirements for new officials,which I personally think is dumb.If a guy can do the job,he can flat out do the job.If he/she can get in position,make the calls and keep the game moving and under control,it shouldn't matter if he/she looks like ET.Some of the best college and pro officials that I have seen have been short,skinny or slightly overweight,rumpled-looking,etc.Didn't stop them from doing a great job.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ROMANO
I agree with you RookieDude
i know one thing :most of the best refrees are short..
p.s
6'2"=?(cm)

1.88m :)

RecRef Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:09pm

Quote:

my high is 1.74cm thanks..

Doing some quick and dirty conversion math this comes out as 5ft 6in.

Are you too short???? We have an old saying here is States, “He rides tall in the saddle.” Meaning that what whatever he is doing, he does it very very well. Don’t worry about your height. Know the game, know your rules, know your mechanics, and sell your calls in a professional manner. In the end these are the things that count.

ROMANO Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:09pm

Jurassic Referee
yes you right! i meant 1.74metres..

dblref Sun Jan 26, 2003 09:36pm

Quote:

my high is 1.74cm and many people told me that i'm not tall
ENOUGH !! what do you think about that?are all the officials in this forum 1.85cm?please tell me what you are thinking about the high of the official?
thanks..

I don't know what this is in meters, but I am 6'5", movie star handsome, and rich as Bill Gates.

ROMANO Mon Jan 27, 2003 01:18am

dblref
Do you belive that some day you will be a good refree ??....

Hawks Coach Mon Jan 27, 2003 09:01pm

Our friend Romano is 5'8" or 5'9"- not sure what the average pro ref height in the US is, but I would guess it is over 6'0" - about 3-4 inches (7.5-10 CM) taller than Romano. Anybody out there know?

And what about NCAA - isn't there a bias toward height in officials?

ROMANO Tue Jan 28, 2003 02:01am

Hawks Coach
What do you think (as a coach)about the ref height ?

Tim Roden Tue Jan 28, 2003 02:47am

There is a D3 college official from Lufkin, TX that I know of that does men's basketball and his height is 5'6" or there abouts. Couldn't tell you his name but the game I saw him do was very well officiated.

canuckrefguy Tue Jan 28, 2003 02:53am

It is unfortunate that some leagues are pushing a certain "look" for officials, and associate certain characteristics (especially height and build) with the "presence" we all try to attain. It's a superficial extension of our society's pre-occupation with appearance (but that's another discussion). Officials should do their best to look presentable, maintain a decent weight and be in shape, but otherwise looks should be way down the list.

One of the best officials I know is only about 5'7". But he is confident, has a great voice, excellent demeanor, and laser-sharp mechanics/signals. And he calls a great game. That's what it's all about.

There's an NBA ref, don't know his name, older guy, bald, with an athletic but modest build. And he doesn't look that tall compared to the other refs. But whenever the big games come around, he is there. He always seems to work a game or two in the finals. They mic'd him up one game for TV and it was very instructive, watching and listening to the respect he commanded from everyone.

BTW, I'm 6'0" (about 1.82m)

ROMANO Tue Jan 28, 2003 06:17am

SO we all agree that the official should be good,and the height isn't a problem and certainly isn't a relevant requirement to be a good official.

dhodges007 Tue Jan 28, 2003 07:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by canuckrefguy
It is unfortunate that some leagues are pushing a certain "look" for officials, and associate certain characteristics (especially height and build) with the "presence" we all try to attain. It's a superficial extension of our society's pre-occupation with appearance (but that's another discussion). Officials should do their best to look presentable, maintain a decent weight and be in shape, but otherwise looks should be way down the list.

One of the best officials I know is only about 5'7". But he is confident, has a great voice, excellent demeanor, and laser-sharp mechanics/signals. And he calls a great game. That's what it's all about.

There's an NBA ref, don't know his name, older guy, bald, with an athletic but modest build. And he doesn't look that tall compared to the other refs. But whenever the big games come around, he is there. He always seems to work a game or two in the finals. They mic'd him up one game for TV and it was very instructive, watching and listening to the respect he commanded from everyone.

BTW, I'm 6'0" (about 1.82m)

I would like to get a copy of that transcript. Do you have an idea where I could find one?