The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rules test for coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/71513-rules-test-coaches.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33pm

Rules test for coaches

I think I may have posted this a few years ago, but I thought I'd throw this out again. It's a "simple" rules test I give to new coaches in our local kids rec league. We use NF rules with some modifications for grade level, like no backcourt guarding in 3rd and 4th grade, running clock, etc., but in general, it's NFHS rules. I've never had a newbie coach get all 10 questions correct in more than the ten years I've been using it. Feel free to use it in your rec league if you want. BTW - there's a "characteristic" about this test that makes it even more fun to administer.

RULES TEST – ANSWER TRUE OR FALSE TO EACH QUESTION

1) ON AN INBOUND PLAY, IF THE INBOUNDER MOVES MORE THAN THREE FEET BACKWARDS BEFORE INBOUNDING, IT’S A VIOLATION
2) A PLAYER CANNOT BEGIN A LEGAL DRIBBLE BY PUSHING THE BALL TO THE FLOOR WITH BOTH HANDS
3) PLAYERS MAY PLAY WITH EARRINGS AS LONG AS THEY ARE COVERED TIGHTLY WITH MASKING TAPE
4) WHEN INBOUNDING IN THE FRONT COURT, IT IS A VIOLATION TO INBOUND THE BALL TO A PLAYER IN THE BACK COURT
5) IF A PLAYER DIVES FOR A LOOSE BALL, GRABS THE BALL AND CONTINUES SLIDING, IT IS A TRAVELING VIOLATION
6) IF AN INBOUNDER IS HOLDING THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS AND A DEFENDER REACHES ACROSS THE LINE AND PUTS BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL, IT IS RULED A JUMP BALL
7) IF A PLAYER SHOOTS AN AIR BALL, THAT PLAYER CANNOT BE THE FIRST TO TOUCH THE BALL BEFORE IT COMES DOWN AND HITS THE FLOOR
8) IF A PLAYER IS HOLDING THE BALL AND A DEFENDER SLAPS THE BALL HANDLERS HAND CAUSING THE BALL TO BECOME LOOSE, IT IS A PERSONAL FOUL
9) IF A PLAYER REACHES OVER ANOTHER PLAYER’S BACK TO GRAB THE BALL, IT IS A PERSONAL FOUL
10) IF A PLAYER IS DRIBBLING AND BOUNCES THE BALL OFF THEIR FOOT, THEY CANNOT RUN AND RECOVER THE LOOSE BALL

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jun 04, 2011 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 763309)
I think I may have posted this a few years ago, but I thought I'd throw this out again. It's a "simple" rules test I give to new coaches in our local kids rec league. We use NF rules with some modifications for grade level, like no backcourt guarding in 3rd and 4th grade, running clock, etc., but in general, it's NFHS rules. I've never had a newbie coach get all 10 questions correct in more than the ten years I've been using it. Feel free to use it in your rec league if you want. BTW - there's a "characteristic" about this test that makes it even more fun to administer.

RULES TEST – ANSWER TRUE OR FALSE TO EACH QUESTION

1) ON AN INBOUND PLAY, IF THE INBOUNDER MOVES MORE THAN THREE FEET BACKWARDS BEFORE INBOUNDING, IT’S A VIOLATION
2) A PLAYER CANNOT BEGIN A LEGAL DRIBBLE BY PUSHING THE BALL TO THE FLOOR WITH BOTH HANDS
3) PLAYERS MAY PLAY WITH EARRINGS AS LONG AS THEY ARE COVERED TIGHTLY WITH MASKING TAPE
2) WHEN INBOUNDING IN THE FRONT COURT, IT IS A VIOLATION TO INBOUND THE BALL TO A PLAYER IN THE BACK COURT
5) IF A PLAYER DIVES FOR A LOOSE BALL, GRABS THE BALL AND CONTINUES SLIDING, IT IS A TRAVELING VIOLATION
6) IF AN INBOUNDER IS HOLDING THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS AND A DEFENDER REACHES ACROSS THE LINE AND PUTS BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL, IT IS RULED A JUMP BALL
7) IF A PLAYER SHOOTS AN AIR BALL, THAT PLAYER CANNOT BE THE FIRST TO TOUCH THE BALL BEFORE IT COMES DOWN AND HITS THE FLOOR
8) IF A PLAYER IS HOLDING THE BALL AND A DEFENDER SLAPS THE BALL HANDLERS HAND CAUSING THE BALL TO BECOME LOOSE, IT IS A PERSONAL FOUL
9) IF A PLAYER REACHES OVER ANOTHER PLAYER’S BACK TO GRAB THE BALL, IT IS A PERSONAL FOUL
10) IF A PLAYER IS DRIBBLING AND BOUNCES THE BALL OFF THEIR FOOT, THEY CANNOT RUN AND RECOVER THE LOOSE BALL

Mark:

You are a devious SOB giving the coaches such a difficult test, :D.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Sat Jun 04, 2011 05:41pm

I'm sure that the coaches have the most difficulty with question #4. ;)

grunewar Sat Jun 04, 2011 05:54pm

I used to be a coach.......

and even I had trouble with #4. A real head-scratcher that one! :p

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 04, 2011 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 763332)
I'm sure that the coaches have the most difficulty with question #4. ;)

Ya' got me. :D

Judtech Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 763335)
and even I had trouble with #4. A real head-scratcher that one! :p

Yeah, but you have to take a second look at #2

NoFussRef Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:04am

#3 is True, only if the masking tape is of matching team colors, and/or all payers wearing masking taped ears are wearing the same color. :p

Furthermore, any tape, band-aids, or other adhesive material worn to conceal jewelry MUST be the same color as the player's compression sleeve(s). :p

Violations are penalized by assessing one T-foul for each ear. :D

JugglingReferee Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:39am

Truly truly Mark, there are no false motives in your tests! :eek:

bainsey Mon Jun 06, 2011 02:02pm

I think I'll try this on our state's fan forum.

bainsey Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21pm

Quote:

I seem to recall that this is a violation in the NBA. Can anyone confirm this?

APG Tue Jun 07, 2011 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 763776)
I seem to recall that this is a violation in the NBA. Can anyone confirm this?

This is correct. In the NBA, it is a traveling violation to touch the ball first if a field goal attempt does not touch the backboard, basket ring, or another player first.

bainsey Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02pm

Quote:

I'm struggling to find an NFHS case play for this one. A little help?

JugglingReferee Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 763971)
I'm struggling to find an NFHS case play for this one. A little help?

IIRC, you don't need a case book.

In the rule book, it defines a dribble as "forcing the ball after it rebounds from the floor". Since the first dribble hasn't yet rebounded from the floor, the criteria for a legal dribble haven't yet commenced, and therefore the restriction of using only one hand is not yet in place.

ontheway Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12am

i just read that while inbounding the alotted space is 3 feet wide theres no restriction as to how far back an inbounding player may go.

Am I missing something?

APG Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 767674)
i just read that while inbounding the alotted space is 3 feet wide theres no restriction as to how far back an inbounding player may go.

Am I missing something?

This is correct.