The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rules test for coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/71513-rules-test-coaches.html)

BillyMac Wed Jun 22, 2011 06:20am

From The Mythbusters Files ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in, or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

Raymond Wed Jun 22, 2011 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 767674)
i just read that while inbounding the alotted space is 3 feet wide theres no restriction as to how far back an inbounding player may go.

Am I missing something?

What do you think you are missing?

bob jenkins Wed Jun 22, 2011 07:57am

Quote:

i just read that while inbounding the alotted space is 3 feet wide theres no restriction as to how far back an inbounding player may go.

Am I missing something?

It seems that you're now missing a misconception that you used to have. That's good.

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09am

Quote:

Am I missing something?

Actually, he can't go back further than the wall. :rolleyes:

ontheway Thu Jun 23, 2011 01:47am

you guys are hilarious. yes im learning alot from this forum i love it!

bob jenkins Thu Jun 23, 2011 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 767795)
Actually, he can't go back farther than the wall. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you. ;)

Now, what if the inbounds spot is directly in front of a doorway or other opening in the wall? Can the inbounder go through the opening out into the hallway?

bainsey Thu Jun 23, 2011 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 767795)
Actually, he can't go back further [sic] than the wall.

There's nothing in the rulebook that forbids the use of a wrecking ball.

(Or is it "rec-ing ball?")

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Now, what if the inbounds spot is directly in front of a doorway or other opening in the wall? Can the inbounder go through the opening out into the hallway?

I started to say "yes," then I hit the book, thinking that there may be something under "visual confines." I can't find any such thing under 10-3.