LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Get a load of this clown!

http://newshound.de.siu.edu/Sports20...toryReader$666
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

This guy's no fan. He's a college freshman, for goshsakes. The main thing I objected to in this article was his statement that officiating is "crooked". If I was one of the refs from that game, my next call would be to my attorney.

BTW - I sent this giblet-head an email (there's a link on the story page) and told him he was an a$$hole - except without the dollar signs.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I just got a reply email from this clown and he claims the article is just a satire and not to be taken seriously.

Sounds like CYA to me.

BTW - "CYA" is not the same as "CYO".
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I told him the Weekly World News would hire him

...as well as told him he didn't know what the hell he was speaking of...

here's his reply:

The column was a satire. It was not to be taken so seriously.
But working at the weeklyworldnews would probably pay better in the
future.

Best wishes,
Zack Creglow
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

I laughed my butt off...

The comments were outrageous to the extreme, the column likely the most poorly written one I've read in years, but it likely served its purpose: to inflame, incite, and for some college hack to get his jollies.

I work in the journalism business, and my take is: consider the source and leave it in the recycle bin where it belongs.

Wonder how many officials e-mailed him a shot of venom?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

I HATE this line of critique

Forget the writer - the coach is pathetic for leaning on the foul count. Think what you will of Esherick, at least he said what it was that bothered him - his player taking too much contact in the post, and because he is big, refs letting the contact go. Maybe yes, maybe no, but at least the criticism is pointed toward a specific issue.

SIU coach isn't saying where the fouls were that they didn't get, just demonstrating that he can count (we should congatulate his elementary school teacher). If a team is pressuring, they may increase the likelihood of a foul with the full court pressure. But if they are playing good defense, then they may be increasing their foul count from 3 to 6 by the 18 minute mark.

Foul counts are a ridiculous stat. We actually kicked a team's butt for a half and drew no fouls because they were never in position to foul. We were fouling because of poor pressure defense (at times - got lots of steals too). They ended up in the bonus and got back in the game, and some of my parents complained about the foul disparity. But if you watched the game, the fouls were right.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Coach,I'm not sure that we really do know where the SIU coach is coming from on this one-to give him the benefit of the doubt.You're dealing with a typical immature,smartass freshman college writer.We don't really know what he asked the coach,what additional comments that he may have left out of his story because they didn't fit his "satire",whether the coach really did put any of the blame his players,etc.,etc. It's not like we're dealing with Woodward and Bernstein here.

I've seen a lot of similar stories over the years from college papers.I just consider the source and don't take 'em seriously at all.

Btw,all the points that you made were good. I know that there are a lotta coaches out there like you that do have common sense, but I wish that a few more would follow your example.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman

Ok guy's get off this guys butt, He made his point and it worked.The ego's in this room are as big as the moon, Iam an outsider looking in and he made his point and you guys fell for it "hook line and sinker"
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Fell for it hook line and sinker.

What he published (even if it were satirical) was malicious and irresponsible.

If replace the word ref or referee with the word that relate to a minority, religious, political, or lifestyle group and you would see havoc... why is it different for a referee?

I for one hope the officials know of a good slander lawyer..
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

If the article is indeed satire, then fine.
The problem I have is with his advocating violence against an official. And his statement "payback is nearing" is just as frightening. He may not ever do anything, but there are plenty of misguided people that will take an article such as that and use if for justification.
Too bad he can't get suspended for seven games,work days etc.,(ala Rasheed Wallace) without pay. (although being a college freshman, he probably wouldn't mind)
And by the way, by wife and kids only hate me SOMETIMES!
Drake
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 05:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

I for one hope the officials know of a good slander lawyer..
You mean libel. Slander is spoken, libel is written. What most concerned me was not his misguided, juvenile opinions - he's entitled to those just as anyone else is - but his implication that officiating is "crooked".

BTW - I forwarded his link to NASO and they are discussing it.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I meant libel... sorry... I knew that, in a hurry and not thinking... I know sounds like my last game with Drake... That's why he never works with me anymore. It is defamation none the less! ( Notice to the daily egyption I did no libel Drake just myself)
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

cool

refs are so cool.

And they started handing out journalism degrees after the four hour whistle-blow training because your opinions on his writing are so valid. Satire, fools. If someone is genuinely concerned for their safety after reading that article i'll hold your hand when you leave the game. If Eminem can say "F- you miss cheney, F- you Tipper Gore" and threaten to kill his wife on records, I don't think Creglow has a problem with the law. And if you dissaprove of his satire, don't attack his intelligence. I doubt any of you brainiacs could compete.

Find something better to talk about,
much love,
colin
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:42am
In Memoriam

Troll!

Ignore.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: cool

Quote:
Originally posted by colin
refs are so cool.

And they started handing out journalism degrees after the four hour whistle-blow training because your opinions on his writing are so valid.

Actually Colin, most people with "journalism degrees" got them from McDonalds

"Geeze, sorry, we're all out of the Ronald McDonald keychains but we do have these nice journalism degrees!"

"Awwwwwww mom! What am I gonna do with a journalism degree? I don't wanna write ad copy for the Pennysaver! I want the keychain!!!"

"You'll take it and thank the nice lady!"