The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Impressive? Sure...(Newbies Heads Up!) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/71374-impressive-sure-newbies-heads-up.html)

stiffler3492 Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:27pm

Impressive? Sure...(Newbies Heads Up!)

Legal?

YouTube - ‪dunk jumping off friends back‬‏

Give us Yes or No and rules citation.

APG Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:30pm

Whack!

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:33pm

That league also has a rule against having jerseys tucked in. :p

stiffler3492 Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 762966)
Whack!

My buddy who pointed this out to me asked me if it would be the same tech in the NBA...I said who knows?? They let you do all kinds of weird stuff in that league!

APG Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 762968)
My buddy who pointed this out to me asked me if it would be the same tech in the NBA...I said who knows?? They let you do all kinds of weird stuff in that league!

This is an illegal assist in scoring violation in the NBA rather than a T...ball goes to the opponent at the FT line extended.

stiffler3492 Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 762971)
This is an illegal assist in scoring violation in the NBA rather than a T...ball goes to the opponent at the FT line extended.

Nice. I just wish they would make every rule set the same.

APG Thu Jun 02, 2011 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 762974)
Nice. I just wish they would make every rule set the same.

Not practical nor needed...different levels have different goals and end games. In reality, compared to the other rules sets, basketball is pretty similar. Football is a whole other matter. I've seen that there's up to 300 rules differences just between the NFL and NCAA...and NF does things that don't even make sense to me.

APG Thu Jun 02, 2011 04:04pm

Also here's your rules citation

Rule 10, Section 3 Player Technical
A player shall not:

ART. 6...Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.

BillyMac Thu Jun 02, 2011 05:31pm

Inquiring Minds Want to Know ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 762976)
Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.

So? Who gets charged with the technical foul, the climber, the lifter, or both?

JRutledge Thu Jun 02, 2011 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 762990)
So? Who gets charged with the technical foul, the climber, the lifter, or both?

Who jumped on a teammate's back? That seems to answer my question. ;)

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Jun 02, 2011 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 762975)
Not practical nor needed...different levels have different goals and end games. In reality, compared to the other rules sets, basketball is pretty similar. Football is a whole other matter. I've seen that there's up to 300 rules differences just between the NFL and NCAA...and NF does things that don't even make sense to me.

Why isn't it practical? Many of the differences that do exist have nothing to do with the different end goals of the various levels. It wouldn't be difficult to bring them all into alignment under a single body with sub-sections to differentiate where it makes sense (length of game, 3-point line distance, uniform requirements, etc.).

There is no good reason for any of the basic definitions, fouls, or violations to be any different.

stiffler3492 Thu Jun 02, 2011 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 762996)
Why isn't it practical? Many of the differences that do exist have nothing to do with the different end goals of the various levels. It wouldn't be difficult to bring them all into alignment under a single body with sub-sections to differentiate where it makes sense (length of game, 3-point line distance, uniform requirements, etc.).

There is no good reason for any of the basic definitions, fouls, or violations to be any different.

Totally agree Camron. Couldn't have said it better.

Adam Thu Jun 02, 2011 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 762996)

While this is true, there's no compelling reason that's going to get the various councils, committees, and poohbahs to relinquish control to change rules. Some of the differences are fairly significant (backcourt, for example, between FIBA and NFHS), while others are less so ("intentional" vs "unsporting").

Time outs, for example, are simply a part of the strategy of the American game.

JugglingReferee Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 763002)
While this is true, there's no compelling reason that's going to get the various councils, committees, and poohbahs to relinquish control to change rules. Some of the differences are fairly significant (backcourt, for example, between FIBA and NFHS), while others are less so ("intentional" vs "unsporting").

Time outs, for example, are simply a part of the strategy of the American game.

It's because of timeouts that you can tie 80% of NBE games at 84 and put 2:00 on the clock.

APG Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 763018)
It's because of timeouts that you can tie 80% of NBE games at 84 and put 2:00 on the clock.

I dunno how timeouts in the NBA in the first 46 minutes help keep games close? :confused: Heck, most of the called timeouts are mandatory anyhow. I could see how being able to advance the ball under two minutes in the 4th could help a team come back, but doesn't FIBA also allow an advance?