The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

I am new to this forum but not th BB. While working a HS varsity summer league last evening there was some controversy and I would like the opinions of this knowledgeable group on how it should have been handled. The two teams were fairly matched and there was emotion showing early. We had two "T's" before this incident (for unsportsmanlike conduct - cursing). The "big gun" for team A received the ball on the low block area and turned and dunked emphatically with his rioght hand. Following the dunk, on the way down, he slapped the backboard with his left hand. A "T" was issued. Correct? Incorrect? Please comment.

Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I believe the "T" was warrented, because of the previous incident. The "big gun" was showing unsportsmanlike conduct, and if not taken care of, could lead to problems down the road. I believe that this was preventive officiating.

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lee -

If the T was issued for unsportsmanshiplike conduct, I could see it. But it is a judgment call...player did not hang on rim --it would have to come under taunting, baiting, etc.

But if the T was issued for "slapping the backboard", the rule is not being understood correctly. T is issued for slapping backboard by defense that alters shot by offense - not for scenario you described.

Jack
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Jack,
I disagree with the 'T' for slapping the backboard is only for defense. If the "top gun" is showing off as seems to be indicated in the case above then I would have issued the T also. Even on the HS level we are seeing an increasing number of backboard incidents by both offense and defense. I understand that in college the slapping is ignored and when working with partners that work college and HS it is difficult to get them to call the T under any conditions. This has been a growing problem and the NFHS committee appears to be addressing the problem. The way the rule is now written the officials judgement as to wether the slap was "intentional" or not. I have been pushing for the rewording of this rule for the past 3 years and it finally happened.

Jerry
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I had kinda the same situation this weekend in H.S.Var. summer league.Rule is in this league one T and your done for the game.Two T"s and your done for the rest of that league.Close game,player drives for basket,hard foul not intentional though.defender stares at off. player (alla Rasheed wallace).I call time-out. instructed coach to sub for his player and that he was done til next half.Since this was the first problem of any kind in this game.I gave no T.
But in a heated game and if there was all ready some physically heated plays or fouls.He would have gotten the T. So in the case above,yes the T was warranted...We gotta nip these things in the bud before they esclate.Especially in the first half of games.First half calls set the tone for the second half.Anybody can Ref. the first half its the second half that seperates the men from the boys.......
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

If you boil his action down to the bottom line what do you have?

Slapping the board does not prevent an injury (like holding the rim), has no positive effect on the game, and cannot be ruled unintentional (like a whiffed block). I think it is a no-brainer, his action was obviously intentional and unsportsmanlike. If it is a heated game,and you let this go, it might be the trigger for bigger problems. Ring him up, and don't think twice.

Old Wed Jun 14, 2000, 11:26pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson:
If you boil his action down to the bottom line what do you have?

Slapping the board does not prevent an injury (like holding the rim), has no positive effect on the game, and cannot be ruled unintentional (like a whiffed block). I think it is a no-brainer, his action was obviously intentional and unsportsmanlike. If it is a heated game,and you let this go, it might be the trigger for bigger problems. Ring him up, and don't think twice.

I T'd some kid this afternoon for that in a team camp.
mick