The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Van Gundy

On a play where a Miami's Chalmers stepped on the sideline twice while dribbling the ball:

"But here's the thing. If his dribble is released when his foot in on the line, and then it comes up and then he touches the ball, I don't think that's OOB."

Good damn grief.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

This is par for the course with Van Gundy. He routinely tries to makes judgements on call with faulty rules/mechanics knowledge, and interpretations. Then he spouts it out for the world to hear. He tries to use officiating terms to sound like he knows what he's talking about, yet the coach in him always comes out.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 31, 2011, 09:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Those guys in the truck don't have a mute button?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Pirate Slap Forehead Smiley Pictures, Images and Photos
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Van Gundy=New Billy Packer
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:47am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
On a play where a Miami's Chalmers stepped on the sideline twice while dribbling the ball:

"But here's the thing. If his dribble is released when his foot in on the line, and then it comes up and then he touches the ball, I don't think that's OOB."

Good damn grief.
This was sadly part of the 2 minutes I watched the game. I laughed pretty loud after he said it...then, I changed channels.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
This was sadly part of the 2 minutes I watched the game. I laughed pretty loud after he said it...then, I changed channels.
Me too. Springer was on.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Van Gundy is an idiot with a huge ego, which adds up to the fact that he doesn't know when to just shut his mouth. He is the biggest reason I have not watched very many of the playoff games this year. One of the games I did watch had a flagrant foul by someone or other, and Van Gundy started spouting off about "that kind of play" and "that type of person shouldn't be in the league"...all I could think of was Van Gundy hanging on to Alonzo Mourning's leg and being drug around the court when he was coaching the Knicks. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Van Gundy is an idiot with a huge ego, which adds up to the fact that he doesn't know when to just shut his mouth. He is the biggest reason I have not watched very many of the playoff games this year. One of the games I did watch had a flagrant foul by someone or other, and Van Gundy started spouting off about "that kind of play" and "that type of person shouldn't be in the league"...all I could think of was Van Gundy hanging on to Alonzo Mourning's leg and being drug around the court when he was coaching the Knicks. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone.
Van Gundy loves to call routine fouls flagrant fouls, then criticizes calls when they are called flagrant fouls. Almost all of the ones he criticizes ends up standing the next morning after review from the League.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I mute the television and turn on the radio. I then find whatever broadcast is in sync with real time television. Started doing this a few years ago when some football announcer was driving me nuts.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Like A Piece Of Gum On My Shoe" ...

Quote:
All I could think of was Van Gundy hanging on to Alonzo Mourning's leg and being drug around the court when he was coaching the Knicks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 08:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He looked like Larry when he got up.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
Van Gundy=New Billy Packer
That's giving Packer a bad name.

Of course, let's not forget VG's ever-present cry of, "That rule shouldn't apply at THIS point in the game!" He perpetuates the myths we have to debunk.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's giving Packer a bad name.

Of course, let's not forget VG's ever-present cry of, "That rule shouldn't apply at THIS point in the game!" He perpetuates the myths we have to debunk.
HAHA...Packer is equal to, if not worse than Van Gundy. Packer (and almost all announcers) come from the school of thought that certain calls can't be made at certain points in the game.

Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

I swear I hate JVG with a passion. The guy is absolutely horrible, for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread and then some. When you listen to both him and Reggie Miller, you can see why there is more of a disconnect between the fans and the officials in basketball at all levels than there is in any other sport I can think of.