Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question "familiar?"

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
These days I encourage coaches to use my first name and talk to me --
I have no problem with coaches or players addressing me in a respectful manner any time I have a chance. But if one coach is calling me by my first name and the other coach doesn't know me from Adam, I tell the "familiar" coach the first chance I get, "hey coach, please call me ref." The old saying goes "perception is reality" and I don't want the other coach to incorrectly think that the "familiar coach" is getting reffed by his best buddy.

Z
I do not see the name they call you as anything special. Coaches usually call me by my first name if they know me or if they do not. That is the choice they make. I really do not see how you can avoid them calling you by your name. If you sign the book or introduce yourself, they might just feel more confrontable calling you by your first name.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Brad . . .

I was referring to an early thread not this one . . . don't remember exactly the thread or I would find it for reference.

Rich has hit a literary "home run" . . . none of us have said "Do Not Call Technicals" . . . we have said use game managment skills before going to that level.

Listening is much more important than most all other game mangement skills.

If one (or two for that matter) reads all the threads on this board you will see there is a large number of references to "idiot coaches" and "out of control players" . . . there must be a huge problem with discipline in our National School system when it comes to adults who coach children.

Hey Basketball Ref, I know you're snow bound and all the games in your local association have been canceled for today . . . cabin fever makes us testy. Just kiddin'.

Tee
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Brad: I realize they weren't directed at me.

Zebra: I introduce myself to both coaches (and the captains) by my first name and both coaches have the opportunity to use my name. It DOES help get my attention, like when the coach is requesting a timeout.

I'm not one for formalities -- matter of fact it drives me crazy when someone calls me Richard. I'm just Rich.

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for this post. I reffed my first games last weekend and had a blast! I just wish this post would have come before my first games, but guess we can't have it all.

I'm guessing the post about tucking your whistle in your shirt while you're peeing was directed at male officials, and not female?

I have four more (rec) games this Saturday (straight!). Wish me luck!

Kris
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[/B]
Cancelled games, yes. Snow bound, no. It's just colder than a ....well, you get the idea. [/B][/QUOTE]Hey,there's other things to do in the winter.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
I'm guessing the post about tucking your whistle in your shirt while you're peeing was directed at male officials, and not female? Kris
If you thought it did apply to you as a female, I'd say your lanyard is WWWAAAAAYYYYYYY too long!

(from a fellow female!)
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have to comment on one thing...

Lark you stated that you have had success with coaches listening to you by addressing them as "Sir or Ma'am." Don't forget that we are in a professional enviornment here and we are on the same level as the coaches even if we are younger.

This is not a power trip or anything like that but we deserve just as much respect as any coach. If they can't control themselves and communicate in professional manner then do the duty and whack them. You shouldn't have to bow down before them and address them as if they are superior.

As officials managing the game is essential but sometimes a "T" justifies itself. A comment was made that a "T" will never make things better and it will never help gain respect. Well I couldn't disagree with that more. If you are worried about what the coaches think and want to be everyones friend then don't give T's and enjoy everyone chewing on you night in and night out.

I think though that a lot of officials would have an easier time officiating if they went ahead and took care of situations. Maybe every Coach won't be your friend but you will gain respect. A lot of the officials that take care of business are highly repsected and work a ton of big games. Just take care of business and do your job, everything else will turn out in the end.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I do not see the name they call you as anything special. Coaches usually call me by my first name if they know me or if they do not. That is the choice they make. I really do not see how you can avoid them calling you by your name. If you sign the book or introduce yourself, they might just feel more confrontable calling you by your first name.
Peace [/B]

Well I hope they don't feel more confrontable! I don't want confrontation. (yeah, I know ... you meant comfortable).

A first-time coach is probably not going to remember my name - even if he can hear it over the sound of the band. If one coach calls me by my name all game long and it's a tight game, you don't think it's going to enter the "foreign" coaches mind that we might be friends and that it might somehow hurt him on a close call? I guarantee you it won't influence my calls, but I'd like to do everything in my power to keep him from thinking that. Next time I inbound the ball by the coach who is familiar with me I look at him and smile and say, "hey coach, call me ref OK?" Without fail, they always smile and say, "OK, gotcha." They know why because they have out-of-area games too and I guarantee you it's entered their minds before. Is it the biggest issue on the floor? No, but I think it's another small tool in the bigger picture of game management. Perception is Reality. JMHO.

Z
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 04:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Well Z,

I have been called by my first name by coaches I only met the night of the game. So it really does not matter to me that much. If a coach wants to precieve something out of that, so be it. Life will go on.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I agree with Rut. I give both coaches my name. If only one chooses to use it, I can't help it.

I NEVER tell a coach/manager what to call me.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I agree with Rut. I give both coaches my name. If only one chooses to use it, I can't help it.

I NEVER tell a coach/manager what to call me.
[/QUOTE

I agree. And I call coaches by their first names too. However, that is just my style.

My two sense!