The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I coach and officiate Upward Basketball in our church. Upward Basketball has a few rules exclusive to their program and reference NF for all other rules. We are not provided a NF rulebook. A few questions:

What is the signal for a moving screen? What is the violation for setting a pick in the defenders back? What is the rule for closely guarded? Is it a 5 second violation for a throw in? Is there a signal for a lane violation?

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no such thing as a moving screen. A screen can move and be totally legal. No such signal for an "illegal screen" of any kind, specific to a screen. Usually an "illegal screen" is a "push" or a "block."

There is 5 second violation for a throw-in.

There is a lane violation signal for the defense, not the offense.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra

What is the signal for a moving screen? What is the violation for setting a pick in the defenders back? What is the rule for closely guarded? Is it a 5 second violation for a throw in? Is there a signal for a lane violation?

Thanks in advance.
Moving screen with contact ---> block or push
Pick in defender's back with illegal contact ---> block or push
Closely guarded - defender maintains legal guarding position within 6'0" with ball handler holding or dribbling in front court.
5 seconds are allowed to release the ball to the court on a throw-in.
Wave palm perpendicular to end line and signal 3.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
Only on a FT, right? I thought he was talking about 3 second violation, but I've been kinda slow all week, just ask the coaches
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 08:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
Only on a FT, right? I thought he was talking about 3 second violation, but I've been kinda slow all week, just ask the coaches
I was assuming the he was talking about the FT. But I could be wrong on that one too?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge There is a lane violation signal for the defense, not the offense.[/B]
Just to be clear:

There is a special mechanic for a pending lane violation---fist out to the side of the body. The offense can't ever have a pending lane violation, so this mechanic doesn't apply.

Once a lane violation occurs, the mechanics are the same whether the violation is on offense or defense. (Whistle, hand up, say what you got.)
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies

A few of the screen scenarios I've seen:

An offensive player sets a screen on the ball handler's defender. When the defender attempts to go around the screener, the screener moves with the defender to impede his movement toward the ball handler. I guess this could be holding, blocking or pushing depending on his action to impede the defender. If the screener turns away from the defender and continues with ball carrier but unintentionally screens the defender then no foul?

What criteria must be met to set a screen behind a defender?

Can two offensive players set a screen on the same defender at the same time?

NF rules: On a free throw, is it a violation to enter the lane before the ball touches the rim or backboard?

Thanks.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
The screener may move and impede progress as long as he/she does not push, hold, etc... That is the whole idea behind the pick and roll. After the screener sets an initial pick, he/she rolls and therefore can continue to screen the defender even while moving. If there is no contact on the screen there is no foul or violation. If there is contact then there MAY be a foul.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
The screener may move and impede progress as long as he/she does not push, hold, etc... That is the whole idea behind the pick and roll. After the screener sets an initial pick, he/she rolls and therefore can continue to screen the defender even while moving. If there is no contact on the screen there is no foul or violation. If there is contact then there MAY be a foul.

hmmmmm......I'm not sure I agree that the intent of the pic n roll is to continue the screening action. But let's put it this way: the screener is obliged to not make contact with the defender as he rolls off. If he does and the offense gains an advantage then you have an illegal screen. We do agree on that I think.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks for the replies

Quote:
A few of the screen scenarios I've seen:

An offensive player sets a screen on the ball handler's defender. When the defender attempts to go around the screener, the screener moves with the defender to impede his movement toward the ball handler. I guess this could be holding, blocking or pushing depending on his action to impede the defender. If the screener turns away from the defender and continues with ball carrier but unintentionally screens the defender then no foul?

What criteria must be met to set a screen behind a defender?

Screener must allow a normal step by the defender when he is not visible to the defender, either behind or to the side.

Quote:
Can two offensive players set a screen on the same defender at the same time?
Yep

Quote:

NF rules: On a free throw, is it a violation to enter the lane before the ball touches the rim or backboard?

Thanks.
Under NF ball must hit the rim before the players can eneter the lane.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks for the replies

[/B][/QUOTE]

Under NF ball must hit the rim before the players can eneter the lane. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, it is the backboard or rim.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Under NF ball must hit the rim before the players can eneter the lane.
Small correction - hit either the rim "or the backboard" before the players move into the lane.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor

Under NF ball must hit the rim before the players can eneter the lane. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, it is the backboard or rim.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
The object of the pick is to impede the defender from staying with his player. Often, the player with the ball is driving off the pick toward the basket, so the player setting the pick usually has inside position on the player he has picked. The purpose of the roll is to maintain this basket side position so that when a switch occurs, you have inside position on the player you just picked. It is not intended to continue the picking action.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
It is not intended to continue the picking action.
but it can be a very nice side effect . . .