The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I started officiating last year. I've done a few Jr. High games, but I have done over 150 CYO games (CYO is a Catholic Rec League with a wide range of playing level from 4th grade to High School.)

My assignor is great in that he knows I coached for 7 years and he has quickly moved me into doing more competitive games and of course more angry coaches (though non as bad as me at my worst). But there is little in the way of instruction or development. I studied the book and passed the NFHS test and got about 2 hours instruction on blowing the whistle and raising my hand, but little else.

I realize I am better than when I started, but I still have some gaps in my game and I'm not sure how to improve. First, I miss a lot of walks. I'm okay if the player is stationary and slides or something, but when he is moving high speed and picks up his dribble, I'm never quite sure which is his pivot foot and until he takes about 4 extra steps I'm in a fog. I guess I'm leary of just calling it because it looked wrong if I'm not sure.

I also get questioned on a call I make for kicked ball. A player who traps the ball with his legs by flexing his knees over the ball on an errant or low pass. The player doesn't stick his leg out, but he clearly is intentionally using his lower legs to trap the ball or to keep it from going through the wickets. Should I let that go?

Also, when the play under the boards becomes a game of twister, no one throws an elbow, no one jumps on anyone's back, the ball is on the floor, there is minor body to body contact, but the ball is like a greased pig and no one will pick it up. Eventually there is a 10 car pile-up and I'm wondering who fouled who!

For example, I had a coach complain that his guys are getting mugged and there is no call. Part of that is that I'll let some things go, like a player getting held slightly, but he clearly can get through it and make a layup. And part of it is I'm not sure what to look for on a loose ball.

I just started reading this forum and I think it's great. I especially appreciated the recent topic on what makes a good ref. Most of the senior refs I work with are pretty quick to get in and out of the gym and there is little discussion.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

"I realize I am better than when I started, but I still have some gaps in my game and I'm not sure how to improve. First, I miss a lot of walks. I'm okay if the player is stationary and slides or something, but when he is moving high speed and picks up his dribble, I'm never quite sure which is his pivot foot and until he takes about 4 extra steps I'm in a fog. I guess I'm leary of just calling it because it looked wrong if I'm not sure."

On drives to the basket, if it looks funny, it probably was not legal. These are judgement calls. If you call it, sell it by making a strong call.

"I also get questioned on a call I make for kicked ball. A player who traps the ball with his legs by flexing his knees over the ball on an errant or low pass. The player doesn't stick his leg out, but he clearly is intentionally using his lower legs to trap the ball or to keep it from going through the wickets. Should I let that go?"

The book says the definition of a kick is "... intentionally striking it (the ball) with the knee or any part of the leg or foot below the knee." If you feel the action by the defender meets that criteria, call the kick.

Action under the boards is a tough area to call. You will feel more comfortable with more experience. But contact on loose balls is a pet peeve of mine. Some players think a loose ball on the floor is a free ticket to dive on someone. It is not, and in my opinion the foul in this situation does not get called enough. Yes, there can be incidental contact, but many times the 2nd player dives on top of the 1st player. If you don't call that foul early, you get the 10 car pile ups and alot of rough play.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
"I realize I am better than when I started, but I still have some gaps in my game and I'm not sure how to improve. First, I miss a lot of walks. I'm okay if the player is stationary and slides or something, but when he is moving high speed and picks up his dribble, I'm never quite sure which is his pivot foot and until he takes about 4 extra steps I'm in a fog. I guess I'm leary of just calling it because it looked wrong if I'm not sure."

On drives to the basket, if it looks funny, it probably was not legal. These are judgement calls. If you call it, sell it by making a strong call.

"I also get questioned on a call I make for kicked ball. A player who traps the ball with his legs by flexing his knees over the ball on an errant or low pass. The player doesn't stick his leg out, but he clearly is intentionally using his lower legs to trap the ball or to keep it from going through the wickets. Should I let that go?"

The book says the definition of a kick is "... intentionally striking it (the ball) with the knee or any part of the leg or foot below the knee." If you feel the action by the defender meets that criteria, call the kick.

Action under the boards is a tough area to call. You will feel more comfortable with more experience. But contact on loose balls is a pet peeve of mine. Some players think a loose ball on the floor is a free ticket to dive on someone. It is not, and in my opinion the foul in this situation does not get called enough. Yes, there can be incidental contact, but many times the 2nd player dives on top of the 1st player. If you don't call that foul early, you get the 10 car pile ups and alot of rough play.
Hold on there Nellie

Just because it looks funny or ugly DOES NOT mean it is illegal. I do not call a traveling violation unless I'm sure it was a violation... I don't care how many coaches, etc. are yelling.

As said above, a kick must be intentional. From what you described, it sounds like he never moved his legs in any kicking motion, but his legs "trapped the ball" Good defense.

Action under the boards: Get the first foul. If you wait for a "better" foul to call, then things can escalate quickly. Get em early lets the players know that you are watching and calling and they have to adjust.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Joemoore,

I just started this year also. Did some grammer school Boys games and then had an opportunity to do Girls Soph and Freshman games. Like you I coached for a number of years before this (since 1980) and have learned a ton so far.

After each game I hit the rulebook again to find things I wasn't sure of during the game. Also, coming here and reading this board is a GREAT learning tool, excellent advise and helpful vets.

I find the travelling call to be a tough one also, but one thing I do now is focus one eye on the pivot foot of anyone who starts a move or is standing still. If a player is dribbling and stops, my one eye goes to the feet. Doing this I'm getting much better at it.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Just kidding

I'm thinking that to come from coaching into officiating is going to present some formidable obstacles.

Judged upon the frequency that coaches ask me for travelling calls... you've got a pretty steep learning curve to figure out travelling.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore

My assignor is great in that he knows I coached for 7 years and he has quickly moved me into doing more competitive games and of course more angry coaches (though non as bad as me at my worst). But there is little in the way of instruction or development. I studied the book and passed the NFHS test and got about 2 hours instruction on blowing the whistle and raising my hand, but little else.

joemoore,
There are few substituts for paying to go to an official's clinic. Find one in your area and go to it. There are camps for all levels of officials. There are camps for each level of official.
mick
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

A good rule of thumb:
"If you THINK it happened, it probably DIDN'T"
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
[B

Hold on there Nellie
As said above, a kick must be intentional. From what you described, it sounds like he never moved his legs in any kicking motion, but his legs "trapped the ball" Good defense.
[/B]
Scott
It is an intentional motion which results in the leg at or below the knee stopping the ball - it is not legal, and is a kick by rule. You may not extend your leg or your knee to stop the ball.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
[B

Hold on there Nellie
Scott
It is an intentional motion which results in the leg at or below the knee stopping the ball - it is not legal, and is a kick by rule. You may not extend your leg or your knee to stop the ball. [/B]
I'm pretty sure we are in violent agreement
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

So it is a kick and not good defense? I am now thoroughly confused by your statements.
Maybe I am having a braincramp today
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'll recind my earlier agreement with you Hawk.

Here's the rule reference

SECTION 29 KICKING THE BALL
Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with the knee or any part of the leg or foot below the knee.

I didn't see where in the description above the defender intentionally struck the ball with the knee or any part of the leg. Sounds more like he "caught" it with his legs.

Without seeing this, I'm having a hard time calling this a kicked ball.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome Joe Moore,

When you're not sure what to call, just imagine that you're still coaching. Then, you'll always know what the right call is.

Seriously, there are times when weird looking plays occur and there is not necessarily a foul or violation. The only time I call something (that I am uncertain about) is if I feel that the players need to be protected. For example, a scramble could get rough: you can call a held ball faster than normal or call a foul against somebody just keep control. Most of the time, that's not needed.

Just the fact that you are doing some self-evaluation is a sign that you are serious. This site and other sources can be good places to keep learning about becoming a better official.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

With the players legs apart, the ball is going to go through the legs, the player reacts and closes his legs like a hockey goalie and then bends his knees so that when the ball strikes his legs he traps the ball.

I used to coach soccer as well and the player was intentionally using a soccer trapping technique to stop the ball. I just assumed any intentional play with the knee or below was illegal.

Is catching/trapping with the lower legs legal?
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

In my view, what you describe is striking the ball -- kinda like the mantra for a soccer hand ball: ball to hand = no call; hand to ball = foul. I'd say the same thing here: if the player moves the leg to block the ball in flight, that is striking the ball and is a violation.

(BTW, I don't think the fact that it's a violation excludesit being good defense . . . when I'm defending a fast break, I'llkick any ball I can get near . . . )
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Interesting sitch. I've never seen a guy catch the ball between his legs, but I have a hard time saying catching and striking are the same thing. If the ball is passing through the player's legs, in his vertical space, and he can catch it between his knees, I'm going to be impressed enough to let him keep possession!