View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I started officiating last year. I've done a few Jr. High games, but I have done over 150 CYO games (CYO is a Catholic Rec League with a wide range of playing level from 4th grade to High School.)

My assignor is great in that he knows I coached for 7 years and he has quickly moved me into doing more competitive games and of course more angry coaches (though non as bad as me at my worst). But there is little in the way of instruction or development. I studied the book and passed the NFHS test and got about 2 hours instruction on blowing the whistle and raising my hand, but little else.

I realize I am better than when I started, but I still have some gaps in my game and I'm not sure how to improve. First, I miss a lot of walks. I'm okay if the player is stationary and slides or something, but when he is moving high speed and picks up his dribble, I'm never quite sure which is his pivot foot and until he takes about 4 extra steps I'm in a fog. I guess I'm leary of just calling it because it looked wrong if I'm not sure.

I also get questioned on a call I make for kicked ball. A player who traps the ball with his legs by flexing his knees over the ball on an errant or low pass. The player doesn't stick his leg out, but he clearly is intentionally using his lower legs to trap the ball or to keep it from going through the wickets. Should I let that go?

Also, when the play under the boards becomes a game of twister, no one throws an elbow, no one jumps on anyone's back, the ball is on the floor, there is minor body to body contact, but the ball is like a greased pig and no one will pick it up. Eventually there is a 10 car pile-up and I'm wondering who fouled who!

For example, I had a coach complain that his guys are getting mugged and there is no call. Part of that is that I'll let some things go, like a player getting held slightly, but he clearly can get through it and make a layup. And part of it is I'm not sure what to look for on a loose ball.

I just started reading this forum and I think it's great. I especially appreciated the recent topic on what makes a good ref. Most of the senior refs I work with are pretty quick to get in and out of the gym and there is little discussion.