The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Running the Baseline (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7088-running-baseline.html)

Viking32 Tue Jan 21, 2003 04:17pm

B1 scores a FG. B2 intentionally kicks the ball after A1 releases it on the inbound pass. Does A retain the right to run the baseline?

JRutledge Tue Jan 21, 2003 04:28pm

Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by Viking32
B1 scores a FG. B2 intentionally kicks the ball after A1 releases it on the inbound pass. Does A retain the right to run the baseline?
If the ball is to be put back at the baseline and no possession was gained before the kick.

Peace

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 21, 2003 04:33pm

Re: Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

If the ball is to be put back at the baseline and no possession was gained before the kick.

Peace

Agree. Too bad I have no rule book today to look it up (damn early work meetings)

JRutledge Tue Jan 21, 2003 05:03pm

Re: Re: Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref

Agree. Too bad I have no rule book today to look it up (damn early work meetings)

You really do not need it, that is what we are here for. :D They changed this rule a year ago to reflect the NCAA Rule.

Peace

PAULK1 Tue Jan 21, 2003 05:46pm

7-5-7

Viking32 Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:38am

So, when does that rule end? Doesn't it end when the ball is released on the throw-in?

I thought the rule covered violations/fouls committed by B PRIOR to the ball being in-bounded. I don't have my rule books here either, but if someone can quote the rule as to when it ends, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

DownTownTonyBrown Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:05pm

Rule citation

7-5-7
A portion of this article says:

... the throw-in from... any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) on the ensuing throw-in if the resulting throw-in spot would be on the endline.

And there you are...

Viking32 Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:08pm

Re: Rule citation

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
7-5-7

... the throw-in from... any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) on the ensuing throw-in if the resulting throw-in spot would be on the endline.

And there you are...

OK

So if the ball is kicked AFTER the ball is released on a throw-in, the throw in has ended and therefore this rule is not enforced....correct?

rockyroad Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:55pm

Not correct...the throw in does not end until the ball is legally touched on the court...since kicking the ball is not legal touching, your throw-in never ended and they still get to run the baseline...

Sven Wed Jan 22, 2003 01:05pm

Re: Re: Rule citation

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
7-5-7

And there you are...

OK

So if the ball is kicked AFTER the ball is released on a throw-in, the throw in has ended and therefore this rule is not enforced....correct?

The Case Book covers this situation specifically.

7.5.7 Situation B: Team A scores a field goal. B1 pickes up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (my emphasis) the ball is kicked by A2...near the end line...

Ruling: A2 has violated by kicking the ball...Team B will be awarded a throw-in and retain the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in.

Sven

Viking32 Wed Jan 22, 2003 01:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Rule citation

Quote:

Originally posted by Sven

The Case Book covers this situation specifically.

7.5.7 Situation B: Team A scores a field goal. B1 pickes up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (my emphasis) the ball is kicked by A2...near the end line...

Ruling: A2 has violated by kicking the ball...Team B will be awarded a throw-in and retain the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in.

Sven [/B]
Thanks. That should put an end to this one.

DownTownTonyBrown Wed Jan 22, 2003 01:14pm

Exactly! The point of the rule was not to penalize the throw-in team for the defense's actions - if the defense does something wrong (violates or fouls), the offense should not be penalized by removing the ability to run the end line.