The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am overseas and can not exactly run to Sports Attic to Try-on, Tug and Pull on athletic gear. I saw that Officiating.com sports link had a variety of shirt, but without ordering one of each to find the right one. Does anyone offer any consumer advice??? What do the pros where? Which are cooler? And most importantly which has the most give to bend, stretch and reach high in without pulling your shirt out of your trousers??? Polyester, Poly/Cotton Blend, Polyester with Intera, Microfiber, ........Help.......
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

The pros don't wear stripes here, but if you are worried about your shirt coming out buy one of those ridiculous rubber studded belts. I don't use one, but everyone I know who does, swears by them. I guess the hold your shirt in pretty good, but I never have that problem.

I forget the name of the shirt I wear but it is a mesh type, someone help me out it is a micro something v-neck.
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I wear one the rubber studded belts to keep my shirt tucked in, more importantly to keep my pants up. If you don't have one of the rubber belts, you can tuck your shirt into a pair of compression shorts underneath your pants. As for shirts, I reccommend the Kliff Keen micromesh V neck. Kliff Keen, in my experience is the best shirt. The advantage is that you can get the shirt in a "tall" size. It is about 4 inches longer than the regular shirt, making it easier to keep tucked in.
Old Wed May 31, 2000, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Don't buy one of those Poly/Cotton blends. Our association listed that as recommend uniform when I first started, so I bought one. IMHO, they don't look good. They quickly get that traditional "fuzz" and lose their sharp look.

I either wear the mesh (if its hot) or a regular polyester, which I think looks the best. I wear the polyester over a solid black cotton tee-shirt, which provides the comfort. (One of the web sites had 3 tees for $10, and they work great. I don't like black tees with white lettering or designs, which show through.)

I subscribe to the thinking that says the better I look when I walk onto the court, the easier it is to maintain (get?) respect. But I don't have the many years of experience where every coach already knows me.

I also wear the rubber belt -- for shirt and pants.
Old Wed May 31, 2000, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe if your pants are falling down you need to get a smaller pair since your exercise program is obviously working.
Now on the other hand if you are large around the middle maybe it is time to 'start' that exercise program.

Appearance goes a long way in portraying a professional image to the administrators, coaches, fans, and most importantly to your fellow officials.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2000, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg:
I either wear the mesh (if its hot) or a regular polyester, which I think looks the best. I wear the polyester over a solid black cotton tee-shirt, which provides the comfort.

I used to wear cotton T-shirts. Then I tried an InSport CoolMax shirt. WOW! Particularly with the mesh uniform shirt, you will stay cooler. I also use Nike Dri-Fit shirt. I will never return to cotton for a shirt under my uniform. I use the dri-fits mostly because I could get them in black. The coolmax that fit under a v-neck (arms shorter than the uniform and wasn't visible in the V of the shirt) didn't come in black.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Madine30:
I wear one the rubber studded belts to keep my shirt tucked in, more importantly to keep my pants up. If you don't have one of the rubber belts, you can tuck your shirt into a pair of compression shorts underneath your pants. As for shirts, I reccommend the Kliff Keen micromesh V neck. Kliff Keen, in my experience is the best shirt. The advantage is that you can get the shirt in a "tall" size. It is about 4 inches longer than the regular shirt, making it easier to keep tucked in.

I also like the Cliff Keen shirts and always buy the +4" shirt to keep it tucked in the pants. I tried the rubber belt for awhile, but found it offered no real help for me. It actually deteriorated the inside of the waistband on my pants. Note that the mesh shirt is not as vibrant in color as the regular polyester. (Kind of duller; the white is not as white and the black not as black) Not tremendously noticable unless you
put them directly side by side.

dk