The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

In a recent game I called a violation for an intentionally kicked ball by an offensive player in the lane and awarded the ball to the defensive team. After the game my partner who is a more veteran official said it shouldn't have been a violation since "you can't have a kicked ball violation on the offense." He said it was written that way in the rule book. When I consulted the rule book(9-4)I don't see any distinction made for offensive or defensive players kicking the ball. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

Maybe I"m not too bright as a fan suggested last night but why would a offensive player intentionaly kick the ball?I've never seen that but maybe V or one the oldtimers can tell me about it happening.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

The offensive player kicked the ball when it was loose on the floor in a group of players. Kicked like a soccer player!
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Maybe I"m not too bright as a fan suggested last night but why would a offensive player intentionaly kick the ball?I've never seen that but maybe V or one the oldtimers can tell me about it happening.
Try these scenarios, loose ball with team control by A. B1 is reaching down to pick it up when A1 kicks it away from him. Or, an errant pass is going OOB, or is in the air OOB, and A2 kicks it back in.

Have had both happen. Number 1 is hard to call as was it really a deliberate kick or just part of the scramble for the ball? Got to see the swing of the leg to tell. Number 2 is easy.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I think I would continue play as your partner did but maybe I'm wrong I want to hear from some of the old guys on this.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:20pm
In Memoriam

It is a violation for any player on the floor to intentionally kick the ball,be they offense or defense. The "intentionally" is up to the official's judgement.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with JR.

No discernment for this as a "defense only" violation. I cannot understand where one could extract a "defense only" violation.

The only judgement for the official is whether or not an intentional act.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I think I would continue play as your partner did but maybe I'm wrong I want to hear from some of the old guys on this.
I'm not old but I'll answer!

RecRef hit it on the head. The offense could kick the ball to prevent B from getting it or to keep it from going OOB. If the rule just applied to the defense, this would be legal.

That's why it's illegal.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 19th, 2003 at 10:47 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that . . .
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3968

Kick ball violation can definately be applied to the offense. Key to the rule - we're not officiating soccer (or football for all you FIBA folks out there).
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

The only requirements for a kicked ball violation are that it has to be intentional and the knee or below. It can be called on the offense or defense.

Z
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
NCAA violation above knee, too

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
The only requirements for a kicked ball violation are that it has to be intentional and the knee or below.
...unless you're working under NCAA rules, in which case the striking the ball intentionally with any part of the foot or leg is a violation.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Why this myth exists

There are refs that call kicked balls anytime that the ball strikes the foot. I have had inexperienced refs call the kicked ball when a dribbler on a dead run has the ball bounce away off their foot. I think that these refs are then told that you can't have a kicked ball on the offense. This statement is generally true because an offensive player is not likely to intentionally kick the ball, except when it becomes a losse ball.

So rather than learn the rule and the reason, people are relying on general rules of thumb that are not based on the written rule but what normally happens in basketball. These will get you by, but it is better to shop here and learn the real rule so you get more calls right.