The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I was just sitting here reading the forum and had a really wierd thought about a sitch I had the other night and without my books nearby (at work) I can't get straight on if what I did was right...

Working alone (whole 'nother issue) shooter at the line for the first of 2. First shot misses the ring, backboard etc (fell about a foot short) so that is a violation so what happens to shot number 2 ??? You still shoot it right ??? I don't know why I am strugling with this or why it came in to my mind in the first place... Thank God It's Friday and I don't work with any dangerous chemicals or anything... ;-)
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

if its for two shots, regardless of how badly one misses the first, the second is still given
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

I was pretty positive that was the deal but went brain dead for some reason... So do you even acknowledge the first miss as a violation or just ignore it and administer second shot. It should only be relevent if there was another violation or something out of the norm at the same time correct ???
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
im not to sure of the acctual ruling. I dont wanna say somehting and get crucified by the refs here , but im assuming that since its the first of 2 FTs, regardless of the result (good FT, miss or air), the ball is not in play still. It wil be in play after the 2nd FT is attempted.

Dont stab me if im wrong, thats just how i always did it. Ive officiated youth bball for over 11 years now and That happens in almost every game i have officiated.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

This specific violation you do not really need to recognize, because the penalty=result - no points. If the violation was that A2 stepped into the lane while A1 was shooting, you would wave off the FT (if it went in) due to the violation, and award the second FT. (and please ignore any violent actions that may occur with respect to A2 and the irate coach - it's incidental contact)