The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Working for a total of 14 games (excluding Rec league) Two Rookies walk into a Boys Middle School game. Both teams are rivals and come from alternative (kids who have got in trouble) schools- They are rivals
I'm the U. Gym is a converted Rec room of a church.
When I arrive I lay down the X and walk off the coaches box. (Coach thanks me since he didn't know the rules).
Notice the court has no 3 point line. WHen partner arrives I point this out so it will be covered to captains and coaches (ie no three point scores).
Medal chairs everywhere. I asked the AD to clear the chairs from underneath each basket for safety. Pre game partner covers the basics. We get the captains, he does the books and we greet the captains. Lining up for the jump, I notice the time keeper frantically writing down the players in the score book. I hold up the jump- Home team has no scorebook keeper and the wrong number of players in book. I call over R and suggest having visitor's book be official. Off we go.
Yes game was rough, but fouls were called. Clock ran when it was not suppose to and fouls were not kept on the scoreboard. Despite these partner and I keep track of the jumps and number of team fouls.
Half ends tied. Second half is a wild one. Team A scores in B's basket (I'm at other end) Partner gives B the ball and they score again (this happened quickly) I blow whistle because of the mass confusion going on. Although partner was wrong in giving Team B the ball the basket stands. We short out direction and the 4 points that were scored and get the teams back going in the right direction. Coaches seem to appreciate this back to sanity moment.
Throughout the game we had lane violations, warning for plane violation along the baseline, the ball hitting a guidewire (violation) and a technical foul on a player.
This was my first T. Partner calls a foul on Player B. Reports foul.... I rotate and player B Bounces ball 30 feet in air saying something I didn't exactly hear. I called the T (ok it was my first T ever).
Partner adm. T, and clears the lane. After free throws Partner starts to put ball in play under basket. I quickly get his attention and puts the ball in play opposite table.
This is long only because the game did settle down- players played BBall and both coaches left thanking us for the game. Not that I was looking for thank yous I was just happy in my head that game management did not get away from me. This Rookie finally began to understand just a little what the term meant. I guess I'm posting this to thank all officials for all the games you manage and that now I feel apart of this team! If I was critical of my partner, this was not my intention. We are both Rookies and have alot to learn. Walking out of the gym, I felt that was the most important game officiated in the area. In reality it was just another middle school game that no one will remember- makes no different- I had a blast

Stewart in Virginia
CVBOA
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did a good job. Lots of experience in one game. By the way, what did you do when you said you straightened out the wrong direction and 4 points?

Stan
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Sounds like you did a good job. Lots of experience in one game. By the way, what did you do when you said you straightened out the wrong direction and 4 points?

Stan
I blew whistle to stop play and went to partner. We discussed the last 2 baskets- Team A scoring in B's basket- him giving the ball to B and they scored again (incorrectly- but not correctable). He went to the table to check if they scored both baskets and scored them for B. I went to the coaches- who BTW seemed fine with the mess. Before throw-in I signaled directions for A and B blew a quick whistle to get everyone on track and off we went
Stew
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by stewcall [/B]
I blew whistle to stop play and went to partner. We discussed the last 2 baskets- Team A scoring in B's basket- him giving the ball to B and they scored again (incorrectly- but not correctable). [/B][/QUOTE]

Just checking, good job.

Stan