The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
A1 and B1 are jumping to start the game (JV Boys). The toss is perfect and both players tap the ball once and then A1 catches the ball. Whistle and violation! We now awarded the ball to B for a throwin and instructed the table to point the arrow towards B since A had obtained possession, even though it was not a legal possession. Were we correct in regards to the arrow?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, this was a rule change for this year in NFHS. Give the ball to B for a throw-in and set the arrow for A when the ball is at the disposal of the thrower.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Thanks. I guess that I won't make that mistake again. As always I get great rules info from this site. Keep up the good work!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
A1 and B1 are jumping to start the game (JV Boys). The toss is perfect and both players tap the ball once and then A1 catches the ball. Whistle and violation! We now awarded the ball to B for a throwin and instructed the table to point the arrow towards B since A had obtained possession, even though it was not a legal possession. Were we correct in regards to the arrow?
Until this year, yes. New FED rule change 4-12-1. Now B inbounds at Violation spot. Upon inbounds set arrow to A.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the rule:
SECTION 12 CONTROL, PLAYER AND TEAM
ART. 1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

Here's the explanation:
JUMPER CATCHING A TOSS NOT CONSIDERED PLAYER CONTROL (4-12-1): An exception was added to the definition of control by a player when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper. By rule, and previously reinforced in a Case Book situation, if a jumper caught the ball on a jump ball, that player had controlled the ball, but had violated by catching the tap. The committee felt the penalty of awarding the ball and the arrow to the opponent was too severe. This change simplifies the rule by only considering the violation by the jumper catching the tap, resulting in the opposing team receiving the throw-in, and the arrow set toward the team that violated.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Here's the rule:
SECTION 12 CONTROL, PLAYER AND TEAM
ART. 1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

Here's the explanation:
JUMPER CATCHING A TOSS NOT CONSIDERED PLAYER CONTROL (4-12-1): An exception was added to the definition of control by a player when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper. By rule, and previously reinforced in a Case Book situation, if a jumper caught the ball on a jump ball, that player had controlled the ball, but had violated by catching the tap. The committee felt the penalty of awarding the ball and the arrow to the opponent was too severe. This change simplifies the rule by only considering the violation by the jumper catching the tap, resulting in the opposing team receiving the throw-in, and the arrow set toward the team that violated.
Thanks for doing the dirty work SP I was way to lazy to type all of that!!!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

No typing here, just cut and paste
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
No typing here, just cut and paste
You've got on-line RB? I need one of those...
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'm curious, are the NF rules now on the web somerwhere, or did you buy an electornic version of the rules?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref

Thanks for doing the dirty work SP I was way to lazy to type all of that!!!
You actually think those of us that quote rules really type them in. I've got an online/HTML copy of the 1999-2000 rules that I cut/paste from. I saved it from an association website (MCOA) back then knowing that the NFHS wouldn't let it stay. I remember where things have changed and reference rules change pages for any updates.

I had done my own from the 95-96 book.

Every so often, I plan on updating my HTML copy. It's getting about time for that again. Anyone interested in a co-operative effort of scanning/editing/formatting a newer copy? Perhaps the case book too?

Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I purchased the CD from Athletic Rules Study. The have the current rule and case book on the CD in windows help file format. I found a hlp to text convertor, pulled into word and viola.... a working electronic copy.

Camron, I was going to email you, but your profile doesn't allow that.

[Edited by ScottParks on Jan 17th, 2003 at 01:55 PM]
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
You actually think those of us that quote rules really type them in?
I do That's why I only give small citations. No full sections for me!

Chuck