The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

In high schooh, 3 seconds is suspended for a player working his/or her for a shot. Although, almost nobody understands this part of the rule or that it doesn't apply during a try.

Does the same Rule apply in the NBA? I was surprised to hear Hubie Browm who has to be one of the most accomplished coaches anywhere comment last night that a player could have been called for 3 seconds while the player was in the lane clearly working his way in for a hoop.

Question: Say, in HS a pivot person is pivoting and faking in the lane, in preparation for a try. 3 seconds is suspended. What about 5 seconds, closely guarded? Is that a possible call?
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

The three second count is suspended if a player in the lane receives the ball and goes directly towards the basket in preparation for a shot. It is not suspended if the player receives the ball and jockeys back and forth from side to side with his back to the basket, moves sideways in a manner not directly towards the basket, fakes a pass, etc.

The HS rule says:
A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves to try for goal. The count shall not begin or it shall be terminated during an interrupted dribble.

The NBA also has a "Barkley" rule against yozzeling (dribbling side to side for a long period of time with your back to the basket close to the lane.
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The 5 second rule would apply. However, I can't imagine someone in the paint that long -- they would have to be moving ever so slowly toward the hoop. It could occur if they start out of the point and progress into the paint, covering 5 seconds guarded before 3 seconds in the key.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2000, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm still confused a bit. I thought I understood the rule from my class but I might be wrong. A1 is in the paint for 2 seconds. He catches a pass, fakes, dribbles in the paint. He fakes again and makes along involved over-the-head type move and finally shoots. The total time he was in the piant might be 2 seconds before the pass plus another 3-4 seconds before he shot. I understood that was NOT a violation. Had he passed the ball out - it would be an instant 3 seconds. I never heard that his movement had to be directly at the hoop to be the "allowance made". Does anybody have a case on this Rule? Thanks.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2000, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

I was always told to "give consideration to the shooter" on the 3 second call. I always took this to mean to suspend the call once someone started their shooting motion, not that they looked like they were thinking about taking a shot.

Although it's hard to make a split second judgement like this (although everyone expects us to make them routinely), think of it this way. At the point when you are deciding whether to suspend the count or not, if the player would have been fouled at that exact point, would you have called it a shooting foul or not.

If you would have, the player is a shooter and should get the consideration. If you wouldn't have, the player was not a shooter and you should continue the count.

As I said, it's really hard to use that standard, but with experience, your instinct will take over.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The NBA rule is different it is as follows:
a. A player shall not remain for more than three seconds in that part of his free
throw lane between the endline and extended 4' (imaginary) off the court and the
farther edge of the free throw line while the ball is in control of his team.
b. Allowance may be made for a player who, having been in the restricted
area for less than three seconds, is in the act of shooting at the end of the third
second. Under these conditions, the 3-second count is discontinued while his
continuous motion is toward the basket. If that continuous motion ceases, the
previous 3-second count is continued.

The if the player gets in the paint and stops his motion its a three second. The NF rule is more liberal than the NBA. Hubie would have been right! Once the player gets the ball and been in less than 3 he has to make the continuous motion or it is 3