The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6 on the Floor and No T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/69892-6-floor-no-t.html)

Mechanicsman Sun May 15, 2011 08:12pm

6 on the Floor and No T

In the middle of the second period in the Heat v. Bulls game, the Heat had 6 on the floor during a live ball. I did not see it very well; mabey one official didn't see the other's signal and they let it go. It was either that or the sub entered illegally and they cut the Heat a break. Regardless, there was no T. Even the announcers thought there should have been a T. Any of those who watch NBA games see it or have a clip of it? Any thoughts?

APG Sun May 15, 2011 08:22pm

I saw the call...there had to be something more that happened because they wouldn't just ignore the call. The problem with the replays they showed is they just showed a freeze frame showing the six players on the court rather than the action that caused him to come on the court. For all we know, Dan Crawford could of told him he could come into the game but didn't see the ball was live.

The only other explanation I can think of is the officials recognized the sixth player before the ball became alive and were really slow with blowing the whistle...and by rule they if they did, they would blow the play dead and get the sixth player off and resume play.

BktBallRef Sun May 15, 2011 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanicsman (Post 758707)
In the middle of the second period in the Heat v. Bulls game, the Heat had 6 on the floor during a live ball. I did not see it very well; mabey one official didn't see the other's signal and they let it go. It was either that or the sub entered illegally and they cut the Heat a break. Regardless, there was no T. Even the announcers thought there should have been a T. Any of those who watch NBA games see it or have a clip of it? Any thoughts?

No idea exactly why he came onto the floor. My guess is Crawford waved him in, and therefore, didn't call the T for his mistake.

But I do know one thing. It makes absolutely no difference what the announcers thought.

Mechanicsman Mon May 16, 2011 09:27am

Very likely that he waved him on without knowing the ball was live. I know the announcers usually don't have a clue, but they at least recognized that there was an extra Heat player on the floor, and they knew that that usually leads to a T.

Adam Mon May 16, 2011 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanicsman (Post 758813)
Very likely that he waved him on without knowing the ball was live. I know the announcers usually don't have a clue, but they at least recognized that there was an extra Heat player on the floor, and they knew that that usually leads to a T.

My 5 year old could tell you that much; that's like noticing one team has white jerseys. Captain Obvious and his sidekick, Sergeant Dipstick.

Camron Rust Tue May 17, 2011 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 758857)
My 5 year old could tell you that much; that's like noticing one team has white jerseys. Captain Obvious and his sidekick, Sergeant Dipstick.

Wow, Snaqs. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? I'm not sure our newish visitor deserved such a jab. :eek:

Adam Tue May 17, 2011 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 759100)
Wow, Snaqs. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? I'm not sure our newish visitor deserved such a jab. :eek:

Sorry, I was referring to the announcers, not the visitor. I changed the post to make it more obvious.

Camron Rust Tue May 17, 2011 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 759103)
Sorry, I was referring to the announcers, not the visitor. I changed the post to make it more obvious.

Good...that did seem a bit out of character for you.

Mark Padgett Tue May 17, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 758727)
But I do know one thing. It makes absolutely no difference what the announcers thought.

All NBE announcers must have a diploma from the Billy Packer School of Broadcasting.

Mechanicsman Thu May 19, 2011 05:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 758857)

What else are NBA announcers for???
They see a play, get confused, and try to explain (usually incorrectly) to the viewers.