LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0113/1491984.html
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Don't ALL parents take out loans to get their kids an automobile?

Thanks ESPN for being a part of spawning this monster. Tell me in 5 years about how great a ballplayer "king James" is.....

Sorry, but I stand strong on the comments I made back when ESPN aired the HS Game.... BIG MISTAKE. Time will tell how big.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 01:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Why couldn't.............

he by a Camry? It would be much harder to prove that he got a gift.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Mistake

It is a funny progession isn't it? From nobody... to show off... to instant millionaire... to millionaire show off.... to societal reprobate.... to convict.... and back to nobody... or used furniture/car/pizza salesman. Unprepared for anything that goes on in the world that the majority of us live in.

Not to say that LeBron will be there but it seems to be a common pathway for these prodigal sports superstars that WE, as a society, promote.

Yes sir, we have a way of rushing a person into a situation from which he can't possibly recover. Let's throw a whole bunch of money at him and see if that doesn't multiply his immature, juvenile delinquent, sophomoric character. Thrust him into the world of big money and temptations.... stuff that no one in his family has ever had to deal with before and with which they couldn't have possibly instructed him how to deal. See if he can overcome the almost certain fall from grace and eventual failure.

Our over zealous monetary reward system sure does destroy a lot of great athletes.

OOOOppppss. Just voicing some pent up anger.... thanks for your indulgence.

I'm sure he needs a new Hummer.... with three televisions. A Hummer is a very practical city car. ooopss, I'm starting again.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

If you owned a car dealership would you sell the mother a car (considering the $$$ she will come into during the next year) with no payments will 2004 ??? Circumventing the rules, yes. Legal, yes.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Why would he need 3 tv's? There are some states that have the No Cell Phone policy, wouldn't it be harder to watch TV and play video games while driving?
You here stories about this in college alot. Of course some of those are actually true. I know of two friends that were given 20k+ cars (This was in the 80's) after they received an athletic scholarship. The parents reasoned that since they didn't have to pay 40K for a degree, why not split what they were going to pay.
Lebron will be an interesting case. His team is more of an AAU squad then a high school team. I would like to see if the OHSAA has the noodles to take the amateur status away from him.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

While I certainly agree with most of the sentiments shared, let me play devils advocate.

1) Nobody NEEDS a Hummer with 3 TVs...but he may want one.

2) Would it have been better if he would have waited until after the draft to get his ride...sure, but there is nothing wrong with not waiting since it is a free country.

3) Is there any indication that this was a gift?

4) If there is no evidence this was a gift, is there any indication that his mother received special consideration when applying for the loan? If she obtained the same financing anyone off the street could have obtained, then there is no problem.

Lets face it, considering the money this kid is probably going to receive what bank would not want to try to develop a relationship? Everyone needs to make sure that a rule was broken before we pile on someone...wouldn't we look a little stupid if there is nothing inappropriate here (from a rules standpoint)? At times, I really don't need any help looking stupid.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Isn't the free market a wonderful thing? I heard a financial guy talking one time about the high percentage of lottery winners that end up bankrupt. His theory, with which I concur, was that if you have never had experience managing small amounts of money effectively, than there is no way you can be expected to manage large amounts effectively, either. James, while a good basketball player, is not a trained financial manager. I was pretty talented academically, and I couldn't manage $20 at that age, much less $20 million. James' success will depend on the people he trusts to manage his money and only time will tell how well he chose. I hope that he has someone who is looking out for his interest versus their own.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
Isn't the free market a wonderful thing? I heard a financial guy talking one time about the high percentage of lottery winners that end up bankrupt. His theory, with which I concur, was that if you have never had experience managing small amounts of money effectively, than there is no way you can be expected to manage large amounts effectively, either. James, while a good basketball player, is not a trained financial manager. I was pretty talented academically, and I couldn't manage $20 at that age, much less $20 million. James' success will depend on the people he trusts to manage his money and only time will tell how well he chose. I hope that he has someone who is looking out for his interest versus their own.
Wellllll....you don't have to be a kid to squander money and trust the wrong people. Anybody who was over-invested in the stock market in 2000/2001 knows this.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Why would he need 3 tv's? There are some states that have the No Cell Phone policy, wouldn't it be harder to watch TV and play video games while driving?
You here stories about this in college alot. Of course some of those are actually true. I know of two friends that were given 20k+ cars (This was in the 80's) after they received an athletic scholarship. The parents reasoned that since they didn't have to pay 40K for a degree, why not split what they were going to pay.
Lebron will be an interesting case. His team is more of an AAU squad then a high school team. I would like to see if the OHSAA has the noodles to take the amateur status away from him.
What noodles, if it is a legit loan to Mom, there is nothing they can do. The fact she got the loan could be shaky, but the way laws are for banks now, you cannot just hand out money.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Great point, Dan_ref! I have lots of friends that fall into that category. I don't, however, because you must have the funds to invest before you squander them.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:08pm
Administrator

I have not had a chance to talk with any of my officiating friends in the OhioHSAA's NE District yet about this situation, but it is my understanding from press reports, that his mother who is not married (and LeBron's father does not live with them) does not have a job. I wish I could get a deal like that on a new vehicle.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Why would he need 3 tv's?
In line with that-where would you put 3 tv's? I drove one of these in the Army--I understand that the civilian version is different--nevertheless, Where could you possibly put 3 different tv's?
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Why would he need 3 tv's?
In line with that-where would you put 3 tv's? I drove one of these in the Army--I understand that the civilian version is different--nevertheless, Where could you possibly put 3 different tv's?
One up front and one in the back of each headrest on the seat.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Labron James is nothing but a punk and everyone and their brother is making a buck off of his ability to play a kids sport. What happens if in his next game he blows out his knee and guess what good bye NBA goodbye career hello poor house. And do you think anyone gives a rats behind if this happens? NO. Only in America.