The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Mavericks v Lakers

Really... no thread on this already? Shocked.

I'm sure you guys have all seen the way the Lakers ended Phil Jackson's career on a rather ignominous note. I think the officials handled it well as possible.

What do you think the suspensions will be, or should be? I bet it WILL be 1 game suspension at the beginning of next year on Bynum, maybe nothing on the other play.

I think Bynum's hit SHOULD warrant much more. I think the fact that this was done at the very end of a game already out of hand should be part of the equation. This was nothing less than an attempt to injure, and should be handled as strongly as a fight, if not more. I think 4-5 games more appropriate, and one thing I wish NBA would do is cause suspended players in situations like this sit out the next game AGAINST THAT TEAM.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rick Bucher from ESPN was on Mike and Mike this morning, and he thinks Bynum could end up with 10 games off; 5 for the "foul" and 5 more for ripping his shirt off at half court.

It's not Bynum's first rodeo, so that should play into it. I haven't seen the play (too much going on this weekend, or I would have loved to watch the close-out game) yet.

Last edited by Adam; Mon May 09, 2011 at 10:51am.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I haven't seen the play (too much going on this weekend, or I would have loved to watch the close-out game) yet.
Those two fouls were two of the most "bush league" flagrant whacks I've ever seen (including the Ron Artest inexcusable whack of a few games before). I hope they throw the book at both of them! The league must demonstrate that if you're losing badly and you're frustrated, you can't just go out and hammer someone - playoffs or regular season. I'd like to see 10 games and a $100K fine! There could have been a really bad injury, especially the one by Bynum.

The announcers went out of their way to commend the officials and the way they managed and had control of the game.

A sad way to end Phil Jackson's career. Really embarrassing for the league.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The announcers went out of their way to commend the officials and the way they managed and had control of the game.
Greeny managed to both do that and demonstrate his ignorance when it comes to officiating this morning.
He commended the officials, but stated that if that same play happened in game one it should have been a Flagrant 1.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Those two fouls were two of the most "bush league" flagrant whacks I've ever seen (including the Ron Artest inexcusable whack of a few games before). I hope they throw the book at both of them! The league must demonstrate that if you're losing badly and you're frustrated, you can't just go out and hammer someone - playoffs or regular season. I'd like to see 10 games and a $100K fine! There could have been some really bad injuries there, especially the one by Bynum.

A sad way to end Phil Jackson's career. Really embarrassing for the league.
10 game suspension plus $100K? Thats a lot of money...

Although I didnt want Kobe to tie MJ, Phil didnt deserve to go out like that.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
10 game suspension plus $100K? Thats a lot of money....
It ought to be a lot of money!

I don't give a crap how "frustrated" he was. After the game, he said something like "those guys were just going down the lane all day on us and I got tired of it." Bynum was just a thug on his hit of a defenseless, airborne shooter who subsequently crashed to the floor and could have been severly injured.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

The league saves 10+ game suspension for the really egregious stuff on the court...think when Carmelo sucker punched a Knicks player awhile back. I believe he got 14 games for that. And $100,000 again is saved for what the league views as really bad stuff...especially for on the court actions.

If I had to venture, Bynum will get anymore from a 2-5 game suspension...probably closer to five because he missed two games due to a flagrant foul penalty two on a similar play...and a $50,000 fine. No way that's a 10 game suspension.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Greeny managed to both do that and demonstrate his ignorance when it comes to officiating this morning.
He commended the officials, but stated that if that same play happened in game one it should have been a Flagrant 1.
I could see Odom's foul being called a flagrant one under different circumstances...I thought the flagrant two was the correct call for the situation...

Bynum's foul is a flagrant two every single time...classic wind up, impact, and follow through with the forearm on an airborne player...he would have been tossed in game one of the regular season, game one of a playoff foul, game 7 of the NBA Finals...etc.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The league saves 10+ game suspension for the really egregious stuff on the court...think when Carmelo sucker punched a Knicks player awhile back. I believe he got 14 games for that. And $100,000 again is saved for what the league views as really bad stuff...especially for on the court actions.

If I had to venture, Bynum will get anymore from a 2-5 game suspension...probably closer to five because he missed two games due to a flagrant foul penalty two on a similar play...and a $50,000 fine. No way that's a 10 game suspension.
Just watched the replay of the Bynum foul, and agree. You're close on Carmelo, he got 15 games. Bucher figured 5 games each for the foul and ripping off his shirt. I didn't see the shirt thing, so I don't really know what he did. Greeny (my only reference for this at this point) thought it looked like a WWE move.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the league hit him with something harder since he has a history of pulling this exact cheap shot.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just watched the replay of the Bynum foul, and agree. You're close on Carmelo, he got 15 games. Bucher figured 5 games each for the foul and ripping off his shirt. I didn't see the shirt thing, so I don't really know what he did. Greeny (my only reference for this at this point) thought it looked like a WWE move.
I can't remember a time the league really cared about a player taking off their jersey like this...I've seen this happen countless times whenever a player is ejected and no one makes a fuss about it. There isn't a penalty for taking off a jersey like there is NFHS. I suppose they could factor that in, but 5 games for taking off the jersey would be new. The only time a suspension is enhanced is if the player/coach does not leave in a timely fashion which Bynum did.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Colin Cowherd (yeah, he's an idiot) speculated that Bynum would get 5 - 10 games suspended. I'd be surprised if he got 10.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the league hit him with something harder since he has a history of pulling this exact cheap shot.
Like I said, Bynum received a 2 game suspension for a play similar to this in which he received a flagrant foul penalty two. If he only got two games for this, I would be shocked as the league could claim he's a repeat offender. Five games, plus say...a $50,000 dollar fine, but losing those five game checks seems like it would be enough for the league (IMO).

Last edited by APG; Mon May 09, 2011 at 03:18pm.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Three times in two years...hard to argue he's NOT a repeat offender. I'm not saying the league will treat him as such but I think you get my point.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon May 09, 2011 at 12:55pm.