The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Question

Like I have said earlier, I'm back after 10 years--and in oh so many ways I'm just like a rookie. I am told that I should always know the "situation" of the game: how many fouls, possession arrow, time outs, time on the clock, who is in foul trouble, etc.

What do good officals do to keep on top of all of these things? I realize that some of it only comes with time and experience. But I read bits and pieces here about mechanics people use. I would love to hear the details of what people do to keep on top of it all.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Tincture of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
...how many fouls, possession arrow, time outs, time on the clock, who is in foul trouble, etc.

What do good officals do to keep on top of all of these things?
Back,
We can practice all those things and work very hard to stay attentive to them specifically, and it is very good to do so.

However, I think game awareness is a one of the precipitates of having mastered everything else in the game.

We work so hard trying to know all the rules and case applications and exceptions. We work so hard on people skills and administration and mechanics.

Eventually, those things become automatic reflex reactions, and it is at that point, when we are able to free our minds, that we expand our game and be more aware.

So, yeah, like you said, ...time and experience.

mick

Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I do not think you can just develop this.

It just comes with experience. No way to work on it other than just trying to pay attention to those things. Different people have different levels of focus and retention of the things around them. You might be one of those people that easily can focus on these things with the other things around you are chaotic.

Peace