The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
... Of course, before the games, I check the records of the teams, look at their schedules, and get the first names of head coaches before I go, too.

I don't need to check the paper to find out their first names. They all have the same first name to me, "Coach".
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If the coaches don't want to play OT so badly or are worried about starting the varsity game on time, then the coach's should just agree to shorten the OT period or just don't play it. As is, I'm indifferent about non-varsity games going into OT. Doesn't happen enough in my experience to where we should just declare it a tie.
I actually agree with you. Only happened to me twice this season in 55 HS games. But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would. And if they do play OT, they're just playing those 4 minutes anyway.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually agree with you. Only happened to me twice this season in 55 HS games. But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would. And if they do play OT, they're just playing those 4 minutes anyway.
I do think the better solution would be sub 8-minute quarters. I could see having JV stay at 8, but having the sophomore, and both freshmen teams playing full 8 minute quarters is kind of crazy to me if you're trying to fit all those games in on one night.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't need to check the paper to find out their first names. They all have the same first name to me, "Coach".
I don't either -- I can look in the program I grab on the way in the school.

I use first names at all levels. I give the coaches every opportunity to use my first name (and most do).

And as always, this is a regional thing.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I do think the better solution would be sub 8-minute quarters. I could see having JV stay at 8, but having the sophomore, and both freshmen teams playing full 8 minute quarters is kind of crazy to me if you're trying to fit all those games in on one night.
Most schools around here have 2 gyms and play the FR game(s) in the other gym. The JV game is usually the only prelim game in the main gym, and those conferences that play 7:00 quarters are the ones that usually start right about 7:30PM on most nights.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Agreed. That's the way I am too. We've had this discussion before. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Quote:
But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.
True dat!
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Most schools around here have 2 gyms and play the FR game(s) in the other gym. The JV game is usually the only prelim game in the main gym, and those conferences that play 7:00 quarters are the ones that usually start right about 7:30PM on most nights.
Occasionally, early in the season, they'll have B/G sets here. F, JV, V for each. F games will start at 4:00 on each court, then JVB and VG start at 5:30 (with JV obviously on the aux court).
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would.

Or just schedule the games with a little more separation.

There are leagues here that schedule 4 games in a row on a court at 3:00/4:30/6:00/7:30. The last two games NEVER start on time and I've even started a 7:30 game as late as 8:30 (major injury in earlier game along with an OT). Other leagues just don't pack the schedule that tight and leave 1:45 between starting times....they rarely get backed up.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

3pm games! I wonder who they get to do those...

We go 4:00/5:30/7:00

Getting to the gym by 6pm for a game that ends up starting at 7:30pm (after National Anthem & lineups) is the norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or just schedule the games with a little more separation.
+1

Simply pushing the V back to 7:30 would work here.