The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 07:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Billy, I'm not sure how you expect us to fully debate this when we don't have the actual rules and case book plays in front of us.

And also, you can't get on Rich for giving the impression he might "give them the impression that we don't care about minor rule clarifications," when you and Mark talk about not letting games go into overtime all the time. Regulars know that you are joking but "since non-officials (coaches, fanboys, etc.) are known to frequent this Forum," we don't want to give them the impression that we care if a game goes into OT or not.
"Word!!!!"

Peace
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time And A Half ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You and Mark talk about not letting games go into overtime all the time. Regulars know that you are joking but "since non-officials (coaches, fanboys, etc.) are known to frequent this Forum," we don't want to give them the impression that we care if a game goes into OT or not.
I love working overtime games. The more overtime periods, the better. There's nothing more exciting. I have constantly "gotten on" Mark Padgett for claiming that he doesn't like working overtime games. I really don't believe him when he makes that claim. I wish he would stop, especially if he's pulling our legs. I will occasionally joke with junior varsity officials for "letting" their game go into overtime, holding up the start of our varsity game, but it's a joke between officials, I would never joke about this with outsiders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 07:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I love working overtime games. The more overtime periods, the better. There's nothing more exciting. I have constantly "gotten on" Mark Padgett for claiming that he doesn't like working overtime games. I really don't believe him when he makes that claim. I wish he would stop, especially if he's pulling our legs. I will occasionally joke with junior varsity officials for "letting" their game go into overtime, holding up the start of our varsity game, but it's a joke between officials, I would never joke about this with outsiders.
Personally, I would allow all subvarsity games to end in ties with no OT possible. No, I'm not kidding.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Personally, I would allow all subvarsity games to end in ties with no OT possible. No, I'm not kidding.
Werd!
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
personally, i would allow all subvarsity games to end in ties with no ot possible. No, i'm not kidding.
+infinity!
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Live With Him, Can't Live With Him ...

Quote:
I would allow all subvarsity games to end in ties with no OT possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
+Infinity!
See what I mean. Is Mark Padgett a "get in, get out, get paid" type of official, doing it only for the money, or is he "yanking our chain"? Only his hairdresser knows for sure. I guess that it's part of his mystique. After all of his games, the fans, players, and coaches all ask, "Who was that masked official?".

By the way, there's nothing wrong with actually being a "get in, get out, get paid" type of official. Some officials are just in it for the money. It's a job. It's how they provide for their themselves, and their family. It pays the bills. It's just that athletic directors, coaches, players, and fans might think that if a few offcials are like that, then many officials are like that, when it's actually a much smaller percentage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 09, 2011 at 06:25am.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 07:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
See what I mean. Is Mark Padgett a "get in, get out, get paid" type of official, doing it only for the money, or is he "yanking our chain"? Only his hairdresser knows for sure. I guess that it's part of his mystique. After all of his games, the fans, players, and coaches all ask, "Who was that masked official?".

By the way, there's nothing wrong with actually being a "get in, get out, get paid" type of official. Some officials are just in it for the money. It's a job. It's how they provide for their themselves, and their family. It pays the bills. It's just that athletic directors, coaches, players, and fans might think that if a few offcials are like that, then many officials are like that, when it's actually a much smaller percentage.
Mark does it because it gets him attention. That's it, that's the list.

And Rich's reasoning has nothing to do with get in get out. As a varsity official, he'd rather see that process because it keeps his own games on schedule; which would also be better for the fans and ADs.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Mark does it because it gets him attention. That's it, that's the list.

And Rich's reasoning has nothing to do with get in get out. As a varsity official, he'd rather see that process because it keeps his own games on schedule; which would also be better for the fans and ADs.
There is nobody involved that wants late running preliminary games. I'm guessing MAYBE the JV coach cares. Maybe.

Last year, I was standing in the corner with both teams (small gym) waiting for the JV game to finish so I can stand across from the table for 20 minutes watching girls not dunk. Both coaches were there and were talking to each other and to us. You should've heard them and the varsity players as the game went to OT and then to 2OT. The visiting coach openly rooted for one of her school's players to miss a free throw so the game would be over. We were all laughing at that.

As it is, these games are scheduled very tightly so that the busses don't have to leave the schools any earlier. JV (called Sophomore games at some schools/conferences) games start anywhere from 5:50PM to 6PM around here and are played on the varsity court. It takes everything going perfectly well to start on time. A whistle-happy JV crew will push a game back 15 minutes, at least. An OT will push it back at least 15-25 minutes. 2OT? We started at 8:15PM.

The only recognition the JVs get is a one line entry at the bottom of the boxscore. It'll say something like "JV: Washington won." I've never seen standings printed or statistics kept and at many schools, kids will be held out of a quarter or two so they can play some time in the varsity game (OTs do not affect this rule as OT is considered part of the 4th quarter for purposes of that rule).

So why not end in a tie, then? It's not only the officials who think that way -- it's the coaches, players, administrators, game day staff, officials, security, custodians, etc.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
There is nobody involved that wants late running preliminary games. I'm guessing MAYBE the JV coach cares. Maybe.

Last year, I was standing in the corner with both teams (small gym) waiting for the JV game to finish so I can stand across from the table for 20 minutes watching girls not dunk. Both coaches were there and were talking to each other and to us. You should've heard them and the varsity players as the game went to OT and then to 2OT. The visiting coach openly rooted for one of her school's players to miss a free throw so the game would be over. We were all laughing at that.

As it is, these games are scheduled very tightly so that the busses don't have to leave the schools any earlier. JV (called Sophomore games at some schools/conferences) games start anywhere from 5:50PM to 6PM around here and are played on the varsity court. It takes everything going perfectly well to start on time. A whistle-happy JV crew will push a game back 15 minutes, at least. An OT will push it back at least 15-25 minutes. 2OT? We started at 8:15PM.
Well said Rich. Were you at my 2OT JV Game last yr? The V Officials, who also watched from the corner, didn't like the delay, but they said we did a really good job managing the game.

Quote:
The only recognition the JVs get is a one line entry at the bottom of the boxscore.
They don't even get this much recognition around here.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never check the box scores, so I don't know if they get mentioned here.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

I do......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I never check the box scores, so I don't know if they get mentioned here.
One, my son is a HS junior. Having coached him and his buddies for many yrs, I like to see how his buds and their Team's are doing.

In the Washington Post they also list the box scores near the posting of the local Team Rankings. So when I look to see if any of my upcoming games have any "really good" teams, I might take a glance at a box score or two.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One, my son is a HS junior. Having coached him and his buddies for many yrs, I like to see how his buds and their Team's are doing.

In the Washington Post they also list the box scores near the posting of the local Team Rankings. So when I look to see if any of my upcoming games have any "really good" teams, I might take a glance at a box score or two.
I'll check the games in the morning. They list the number of fouls called in a game and I'm curious (1) how many we called and (2) how that compares with the other games in the listings. Of course, before the games, I check the records of the teams, look at their schedules, and get the first names of head coaches before I go, too.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

When in Rome......

Quote:
Of course, before the games, I check the records of the teams, look at their schedules, and get the first names of head coaches before I go, too.
I'd have to do some digging for this info.

The Post will list the "Top 20" Teams, their records, their next opponent, and their abridged box-score (as I recall - player, points, half-time and final score). For all the other info, I'd have to to look to the "interweb"..... most times it just ain't happening.

Now, in the smaller town where I grew up, yep, a lot of that info was right there for all to see.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The only recognition the JVs get is a one line entry at the bottom of the boxscore. It'll say something like "JV: Washington won." I've never seen standings printed or statistics kept and at many schools, kids will be held out of a quarter or two so they can play some time in the varsity game (OTs do not affect this rule as OT is considered part of the 4th quarter for purposes of that rule).
They do not get that much mention here or the game. No one cares about those games but the participants and maybe their parents. Just a fact of the business.

Quote:
So why not end in a tie, then? It's not only the officials who think that way -- it's the coaches, players, administrators, game day staff, officials, security, custodians, etc.
I do agree with you there.

Peace
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

If the coaches don't want to play OT so badly or are worried about starting the varsity game on time, then the coach's should just agree to shorten the OT period or just don't play it. As is, I'm indifferent about non-varsity games going into OT. Doesn't happen enough in my experience to where we should just declare it a tie.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.