The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

4.19.6 Situation A:
Airborne A1, while trying for a field goal, is fouled by B1. A1 continues with the trying motion and before or after releasing the ball, crashes in B2 who has legal position. The try by A1 is successful. Ruling: Even though A1 was fouled, the ball remains live because the foul occurred during the trying motion. When airborne shooter A1 fouled B2, however, this was a player-control foul, which caused the ball to become dead immediately. Therefore, the field goal by A1 does not count, however A1 is granted two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting.

Would this be a double foul? Would B team get the ball after the free throws? I guess I’m not seeing this case clearly. Any insight is appreciated.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

false double foul

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
4.19.6 Situation A:
Airborne A1, while trying for a field goal, is fouled by B1. A1 continues with the trying motion and before or after releasing the ball, crashes in B2 who has legal position. The try by A1 is successful. Ruling: Even though A1 was fouled, the ball remains live because the foul occurred during the trying motion. When airborne shooter A1 fouled B2, however, this was a player-control foul, which caused the ball to become dead immediately. Therefore, the field goal by A1 does not count, however A1 is granted two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting.

Would this be a double foul? Would B team get the ball after the free throws? I guess I’m not seeing this case clearly. Any insight is appreciated.
This is a false double foul refer to 4.19.8A in the Fed case book. Foul by B1 does not cause ball to be dead. PC by A1 does however. Cancel the basket if good For the foul by B A1 recieves 2 throws w/ the lane cleared. B then gets the ball for a spot throw-in closest to the spot of the foul (as a result of PC foul) Administer the fouls in the order they occurred. For NC2A rules are different regarding airborne shooter so that is a different case.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Explaining a false double foul to a coach...that should provide some fireworks. Depending on the situation, I think I'd be inclined to pass on the PC foul on A1 and say that the foul by B1 caused the crash.

Might seem like a chicken way out but it's a lot easier to talk to a coach that's only losing out on one personal foul than a coach that's just lost a bucket, chance for a three point play and picked up a foul on one of his players.

Merely my $.02 worth.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 05:28pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
Explaining a false double foul to a coach...that should provide some fireworks. Depending on the situation, I think I'd be inclined to pass on the PC foul on A1 and say that the foul by B1 caused the crash.

Might seem like a chicken way out but it's a lot easier to talk to a coach that's only losing out on one personal foul than a coach that's just lost a bucket, chance for a three point play and picked up a foul on one of his players.

Merely my $.02 worth.
whistleone,
Explaining the false double foul may be easier to do than to try to tell the coaches how that rap on the elbow caused the aggressively, slashing shooter to carom into B2.
If this action took place in a "mess" then fine, I'll do it your way too.
And who knows? You may not have to explain a false double foul to anyone except your partner.
mick
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4.19.6 Situation A:

The reason this is not a double foul is that it is not two opponents fouling each other. There are three players involved in this play A1, B1, and B2. Thus it is a false double foul.
There is also a casebook play where A1 crashes into B1 and one official calls a PC and the other calls a block. This is a double foul since it is only two opponents committing fouls.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: false double foul

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Quote:
4.19.6 Situation A:

This is a false double foul refer to 4.19.8A in the Fed case book. Foul by B1 does not cause ball to be dead. PC by A1 does however. Cancel the basket if good For the foul by B A1 recieves 2 throws w/ the lane cleared. B then gets the ball for a spot throw-in closest to the spot of the foul (as a result of PC foul) Administer the fouls in the order they occurred. For NC2A rules are different regarding airborne shooter so that is a different case.
Isn't this a false multiple foul? Since it isn't the same two.

My two sense!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: false double foul

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

Isn't this a false multiple foul? Since it isn't the same two.
No - (a) multiple fouls don't exist, and, (b) in theory, multiple refers to more than one opponent fouling the same player.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
An easier way of explaining this is to say that multiple means two or more members of the same team are doing the fouling, while double indicates that one player from each opposing team has fouled.

And a friend of mine did call a multiple foul in a BV game this season!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: false double foul

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
This is a false double foul refer to 4.19.8A in the Fed case book. Foul by B1 does not cause ball to be dead. PC by A1 does however. Cancel the basket if good For the foul by B A1 recieves 2 throws w/ the lane cleared. B then gets the ball for a spot throw-in closest to the spot of the foul (as a result of PC foul)

If the last FT by A is good, B can run the end-line. IF the last Ft is missed, it's a spot throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Mark,

Ya can't just say that -- what was the story -- did the call make sense?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
... And a friend of mine did call a multiple foul in a BV game this season!
It would take an will some "serious" intestinal fortitude to call multiple fouls, especially if it is a high profile game!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Cool

So Rev, tell us how it went...Inquiring minds want to know...
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nevada, don't tease us!! We need full details!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
Quote:
Mark,

Ya can't just say that -- what was the story -- did the call make sense?
Sounds like another urban legend...
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

I already have posted the full story. Here is the thread: http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=6459