The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

What if anything should be done for a coach's antics after the game is over?

Varsity girls game. Coaches were both relatively reasonable throughout the game - nothing to raise my ire or worthy of a T.

Tight game throughout - never more than a 4 point difference. Less than a minute to go. Visitor behind by 2. Foul on home team. Vistors miss both free throws. Time out visitors. Home team goes to inbound and steps on line. Visitors get ball under their own basket. Miss again. Down the court and back. Visitor time out. 12 seconds remaining. Probably 3rd best player on visitor team gets the inbound pass (not a particularly good basketball player) dribbles toward key and passes to player that hasn't made a shot all night. She bobbles the ball and looses it in the key. Original passer comes up with ball among 6 or 7 players (obviously some of her own teammates involved) scrambling for the ball. She jumps and shoots from less than 10 feet. Misses. Visiting coach wants foul. Time expires. Game over. 2-point loss for visitors - their first loss of the season.

All is well. Meet partner at mid-court and go to leave. I glance back over my shoulder at visiting bench. Coach is staring at me and giving the universal choking signal - both hands at his throat and tongue sticking out. When he catches my eye he mouths the words "You choked."

I wasn't thinking Hiemlich. I was thinking about choking the chicken crap this banty rooster. I left shaking my head.

This was childish crap. The coach choked - not me. My partner and I did an excellent job. My question is... I have this same coach in about two weeks... should I forget about it (difficult to do)? Should I walk in a T him just for good measure? Should I turn the game back and let someone else have a shot at him? Should I walk in choking? Maybe give him several "Oooops choked on that one coach." "Oooops choked on that..." throughout the game?

How do you guys deal with this kind of childish chicken crap?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would not let the coach get to you. I would go in and do the next game and act as if nothing happened. Don't come down to his level and don't give up a game because of him. Try to let it go so that it doesn't affect your judgement in the next game.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Officials must have the ability to have a very selective memory. The antics of the coach are something that you need to, if not forget about, store away where they will not make you be biased against his team. Then you would be cheating the kids. If you don't think you can do this, give the game back.

If he tries to bring up the game, let him know that you don't remember the game and that it was past history and that today is a new day with its' own challenges. This will let him know that you are focused on the game at hand.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

As for the next game, let it go. Everyone should start each game with a new opportunity to make an idiot out of themselves.

As for this game, it's too bad his team wasn't ahead at the final horn. Then you could have whacked him and had the other team shoot free throws. Cool!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
As for the next game, let it go. Everyone should start each game with a new opportunity to make an idiot out of themselves.

As for this game, it's too bad his team wasn't ahead at the final horn. Then you could have whacked him and had the other team shoot free throws. Cool!
DITTO!!!

It would have taken a lot of fortitude to Whack the coach in the above sitch but to go into OT (two made throws) and then to lose may be the only way to teach this guy.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
What if anything should be done for a coach's antics after the game is over?

How do you guys deal with this kind of childish chicken crap?
In all honesty, I couldn't care less what the coach thinks about the job we did...when they win, we did ok...when they lose, we screwed 'em...why are you getting so upset about the coaches antics???Game was over - leave, laugh about what a jackass the guy was, and forget about it...coaches are not our enemy, and they are not our friends - they are simply one more thing we have to deal with in doing our jobs...forget about it, and stop worrying so much about what the coach thinks/does/says after the game is over...

As far as the next game - do you want coaches bringing things up from previous games? If not, then don't you be bring things up from previous games...as Mick says - Get in. Get done. Get out.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Home team goes to inbound and steps on line. Visitors get ball under their own basket.

My question is... I have this same coach in about two weeks... should I forget about it (difficult to do)? Should I walk in a T him just for good measure? Should I turn the game back and let someone else have a shot at him?
If it is that difficult to forget about what the coach did,you should definitely turn the game back.Report his unsporting actions to whoever takes those type of complaints in your area,but don't put yourself into a game where you have prejudged one of the participants.That's not fair to anyone.
I'm also sure that you just wrote it down wrong-but for the benefit of newer officials on the board- stepping on the line by a player throwing the ball in is not a violation.Stepping over the line when throwing the ball in is a violation.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Take it with a grain of salt.

I had a game that had over 25 Fouls each half during a Boy's Varsity game. I do not call 25 Fouls in most games I officiate period, let alone in one half of a game. Yesterday the losing coach, which had the lead almost the entire game and lost it based turnovers and not making FTs. We sent his team to the line and the other team to the line on several times each, and nobody made FTs for the last quarter hardly at all. The home team ended up losing by 3. He made the comment to me and my partner, "That was the worst game I have ever seen." Interesting coming from a first year varsity coach and a coach that did not complain to us almost the entire fourth quarter because his team keep throwing away the ball and not hitting a shot. My partner and I laughed about it and moved on. Listening to a coach and their comments, especially the losing coach or giving a damn is about listening to a politican and the plight of children. There is always and agenda in their comments.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank-you

Yes, she stepped over the line and onto the court before releasing the ball. Visitors had ample opportunity to tie or win.

Earlier I was laughing and angry. Now I'm just laughing. I think it might have been Padgett's use of the term giblet-head in another thread. That's too good.

I'll enter the game smiling and seeing a little chicken's giblet-head on his big football player body. How could a guy not smile at that?!

"Coach do you have to use wax... or elmer's glue, or something... to get that red comb to stand up like that?"

Thanks to all. cluck cluck cluck
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I work rec ball and this is hard to do sometimes. I saw the same coach 3 weeks in a row before our 2 week holiday break. Our assignor doesnt tell us teams or schools for our games just age group time and loacation. So it makes it easier. I have had a coach come ask me about something the week before and I honestly sometimes cant remeber it unless it sticks out in my head cuz I've been reading rules regarding something in it. I hate the coach who also is a board memebr and precieves to tell you that you need to lighten up because people are complaining we are getting too tight. Im thinking for this week, you've had 3 weeks of play and 2 weeks to practice not including preseason practice. This is straight basketball from here on out. You want me to loosen up? Coach a younger age group.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 05:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Thank-you

Quote:
Earlier I was laughing and angry. Now I'm just laughing. I think it might have been Padgett's use of the term giblet-head in another thread. That's too good.

I'll enter the game smiling and seeing a little chicken's giblet-head on his big football player body. How could a guy not smile at that?!

"Coach do you have to use wax... or elmer's glue, or something... to get that red comb to stand up like that?"

Thanks to all. cluck cluck cluck
Actually, the term "giblet-head" (coined, of course, by Dave) means the guy has giblets for brains.

Just wanted to set the record straight on this important point.