The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have been officiating for the past four years. The past two years I have worked in two Joco and one D-3 conferences. I get about 20 to 25 college games a year.
Last year my high school commissioner gave me several high school varsity games but this year is differant. Zero!!!! Should I talk to him, if so, what do I say?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 11:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb What do you have to lose?

Maybe he thinks that your college schedule will not allow you to do varsity ball.? Or that your assignor thinks you do not want to do varsity ball anymore with what you are doing at the college level? I would talk to him and see what is going on. Just be respectful and humble when you talk to him.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I would love to work more games and getting better is very important to me. You are only as good as the games that you work, right. I think that I am going to talk to him but I don't want him to think that I am too good to work JH or JV games. I will take any suggestions.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref-n-va
I would love to work more games and getting better is very important to me. You are only as good as the games that you work, right. I think that I am going to talk to him but I don't want him to think that I am too good to work JH or JV games. I will take any suggestions.
I'd first run this by your JUCO/D-III assignor - perhaps he dropped some hints to your high school assignor that he wants you to work college exclusively.

Once that's clear, give your HS assignor a call. Just explain that you are still available to ref high school games (perhaps offer him what dates you're available this winter - in case a substitute official is needed). Let him know that you enjoy basketball at all levels, and would like to be considered in the future.

Good luck.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about not getting any varsity games. I took the same road that you are on. It took me working the Woman's D III NCAA tournament to make the high school assigners take note that I can officiate. This year beside my college games I have 40 varsity games.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by kenref1
Don't worry about not getting any varsity games. I took the same road that you are on. It took me working the Woman's D III NCAA tournament to make the high school assigners take note that I can officiate. This year beside my college games I have 40 varsity games.
Welcome to the forum, kenref1,
That's one heckuva schedule.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Wow!

You must not have anything but Sundays off. 40 Varsity games and an NCAA schedule that gets you into the Division tournament.

Do you have another profession or just officiate?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

During the basketball season the ony time I am home is to sleep!!! I love the game and I will do almost anyting to help others enjoy this GREAT GAME!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Did you return assigned high school games last year so that you could work college games? We have a lot of that in our association and our assignor gets tired of having to rechedule crews. He usually has to make several changes to replace a college level official.

Just try to make the high school assignor feel that his games are important.

Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

You need to know how he/she feels about college officiating. I am in a area where most of the college games take place on nights where high schools do not play. Also it helps when you work college ball with them. There are some high school games that I will protect from college games. If you do not know, just ask your fellow officials in your area. Learn from their mistakes.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

You also need to be aware of how the college supervisor feels about working high school games. I gave up a league this year because we got a new supervisor and he made it clear that we were only to work the collegiate schedule. He said something about being fresh and not confusing mechanics, etc. I enjoy the high school games and did not want to let them pass. As for assignments, I get my college schedule in October/early November and forward it to my high school assignor and then he works around it. I think it works out great but I am also only home to sleep 5-6 nights a week. However, with a four year old at home who's getting into more activities, one or the other needs to get cut back. After all this is a great side job that I LOVE but there are more important things in life.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I see two differant views. I would like to work more games but should I talk to my high school assigner about the change from me working Varsity games last year to zero this year?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ref-n-va, where in Va are you?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Northern Va
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref-n-va
Northern Va
If you are CBOA did you submit a closeout form? Did you enter your situation under additional info? Remember that the main assignor is just coming back after a few years layoff so he is not 100% up to speed. Talk to him at the Monday meeting.