The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

8th grade girls CYO game the other night, and I'm coaching, not refereeing. I'm a boys official, but coach my daughter's team. We're getting blown out, down by 15 in second quarter, other team pressing, etc. Game starts to get a little chippy. One of my girls gets hit with an elbow after she pulls down a rebound, no call. Several very close reach-in/clean steal calls go against us, each time we were the team in possession who lost the ball.

One of our girls goes across the lane dribbling the ball, and from my viewpoint on the bench, gets clotheslined by the defender. Maybe it was just a high reach-in, but she went down pretty hard.

I react by calling out "What was that, football? That's almost flagrant!" I know I should keep my mouth shut, but I get excited when the game gets too physical. We get the foul call, but not a flagrant or intentional foul.

One of the officials comes over to me at the bench WHERE I AM SEATED!!!!! He walked all the way across the floor to speak to me, a good 10 to 15 seconds after I sat back down. He starts to tell me I have to keep quiet. We are, I swear to you, whispering to each other. I tell him I don't want anybody getting hurt. He responds that we are embarrassing ourselves, and I'm not sure now, nor was I then, if he meant the coaches or the team. I told him I thought he was embarrassing himself by not calling the game tighter.

No on else in the gym heard us. He then turns around and T's me for it! I admit, not the smartest thing I ever said, but I just told him the same thing he told me!!!!

Did I deserve the T, and how do other officials who also caoch sometimes manage to keep their mouthes shut? I guess I need to learn how to do that.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Whistleblower

Assuming you were as diplomatic as you present in this scenerio, it appears that this official was looking for trouble and managed to find it with his/her poor game management skills.

In my view, the official was not judicious with his/her authority and baited you. The "T" was unwarranted.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleblower

One of the officials comes over to me at the bench WHERE I AM SEATED!!!!! He walked all the way across the floor to speak to me, a good 10 to 15 seconds after I sat back down. He starts to tell me I have to keep quiet. We are, I swear to you, whispering to each other. I tell him I don't want anybody getting hurt. He responds that we are embarrassing ourselves, and I'm not sure now, nor was I then, if he meant the coaches or the team. I told him I thought he was embarrassing himself by not calling the game tighter.
whistleblower,
His comment seemed unprofessional, defensive and ill-timed.
You reciprocated.
He won.
mick
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Nice one!

It is rather humorous how an official can come across the floor and initiate a conversation that is not needed... say something to you that is disagreable... and have you say the same disagreable thing back to him.... AND YOU LOSE.

Beautiful man!

The inexperienced referee always wins when it comes to T-bones. He's probably somewhere on this forum bragging about how he shut you up. You impudent ... coach. Not even realizing that HE CREATED THE SITUATION that ended with you getting a T.

I love it..... I've got just the coach to use it on.

Whisper... whisper... whisper