The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ok. I have 3 questions about free throws:
1) Can a player have the ball for more than 10 seconds? Say, he's standing on FT line bouncing it for 9 seconds and then for 3 seconds he's getting ready for a shot. I've read the rules and it's a violation, yet they NEVER call that.
2) Can i cross FT line? I often shoot and go over the line by accident (lose balance or something) and i don't know if that should be called a violation.
3) Can i jump while shooting FT if i don't cross the FT line?
Thanks in advance.
Old Fri May 19, 2000, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ilya:
Ok. I have 3 questions about free throws:
1) Can a player have the ball for more than 10 seconds? Say, he's standing on FT line bouncing it for 9 seconds and then for 3 seconds he's getting ready for a shot. I've read the rules and it's a violation, yet they NEVER call that.
2) Can i cross FT line? I often shoot and go over the line by accident (lose balance or something) and i don't know if that should be called a violation.
3) Can i jump while shooting FT if i don't cross the FT line?
Thanks in advance.

Simple answers.

1) No.
2) In HS play, not until the ball touches the rim.
3) Yes.

Old Fri May 19, 2000, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ilya:
[B]Ok. I have 3 questions about free throws:

Have you seen someone take more than 10 seconds? I count every time and I don't think I've ever gone above 7 seconds.

(I agree with the answers above, BTW.)
Old Fri May 19, 2000, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Karl Malone (sp?) - 13 secs 3 times in Game5 vs. Blazers
Old Fri May 19, 2000, 02:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by JAdams:

2) In HS play, not until the ball touches the rim.

[/B]

Or the backboard. Of course, if it then does not hit the rim or go in the basket, it is a violation.

One reason that we are very lenient on the 10 second count is that there is no advantage gained by taking an extra few seconds, other than more time to gain composure. The clock is not running, it doesn't make it more likely that the other team will violate and the shot isn't any easier. This is an example of the advantage/disadvantage principle.

Of course, if someone is abusing it, like taking 30 seconds, they'll probably get at least a warning.

As to Karl Malone, the guy needs a tent and sleeping bag at the line - (but he is an incredible player - and I live in Portland).

Old Fri May 19, 2000, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Oh cool Mark, i'm also from Portland!
Well, actually Aloha..
Old Fri May 19, 2000, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

One more question (i hope i'm not annyoing)
How many steps can a player take not to travel?? I always thought it was two and that's how i usually play, but i've seen NBA players, say Kobe, take 3 steps and no call. He often drives to the basket taking 2 steps then one more and pulls up and shoots.
Old Fri May 19, 2000, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
How many steps can a player take not to travel?? I always thought it was two and that's how i usually play, but i've seen NBA players, say Kobe, take 3 steps and no call. He often drives to the basket taking 2 steps then one more and pulls up and shoots.

Ilya,

Be very careful watching NBA games verses HS Federation games. NBA is for entertainment and the game is called accordingly.
The responses to your questions about the free throws in the above posts are correct, btw.
I also agree with Mark (who claims in a previous post he officiates bare footed ) that the 10 sec count is a judgment call. I give a visable count with my fingers down by my side, but I have never made that violation call. Yes, it is a rule, but unless it is abused (i.e. 20-30 seconds)I am not calling it.

[This message has been edited by slow_whistle (edited May 19, 2000).]
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

That's a SMART question. You really should get a Rule Book and read the definition of travelling. It will help your game (seriously). Some players don't take ADVANTAGE of what you can legally do and others mess up because they don't know the technicalities like NOT picking up your pivot foot before releasing the ball for a dribble. On your question. If you land on one foot after catching the ball it is your pivot foot when the other foot touches the floor. You can pick up your pivot foot but you must pass or shoot before it touches the floor a second time. There is another part of the Rule about jumbing off one foot and landing on two. My biggest beefs (NBA) are that I see a lot of guys travel by catching in the air - landing on two feet - then jumbing, drop stepping and touching the pivot foot before shooting/passing and on the 3 point catch-turn-shoot move. I don't think this is entertainment - I think it is sloppy, unprecise basketball.
quote:

Old Tue May 23, 2000, 12:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:

Lots of us criticize the NBA refs for not calling traveling. The problem is that we are applying the high school or college rule to the NBA. Some of us say the reason it's not called the same in the NBA is that the refs let it slide due to the entertainment value of the league. The real fact is that the travel rule in the NBA is different! The refs are calling it according to the NBA rules.

Old Tue May 23, 2000, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

The most common travelling call by NBA officials seems to be when the ball is caught down low directly under the basket and good defense causes the offensive player to shuffle his feet to get a better angle for shot to go in. They called LJ for that in the Knicks Heat game.