The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

One of my kids pulled another one on me last weekend. As coach, I entered players and numbers in book and gave to official scorer. Game is progressing, and foul is called on my #22. Shots are taken, I wholesale sub and #22 comes out. Game progresses, when horn sounds and table says they have no #22 in the book. (This is true, the kid is usually #2, which I entered. But he picked up an old jersey and decided to wear that instead of his regular one, and I did not notice before entering in book). My question is when do we get assessed the T for wrong number? He was not in game when noticed, but had been and had committed foul. If he had his other jersey with him, could he have just changed so we would not need to change book?
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

First off, what kind of scorer doesn't realize this when the foul is reported?

That said, it is a technical foul either way - having the scorer change to match the player or having the player change to match the book. Had the player not fouled, you would have been okay (just don't put him back into the game). When the scorer records the foul, though, they have to change the book to match your #22 - team technical, 2 shots + ball for the other team, and you're now "safe" for any other changes of numbers for the rest of the game.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
First off, what kind of scorer doesn't realize this when the foul is reported?

That said, it is a technical foul either way - having the scorer change to match the player or having the player change to match the book. Had the player not fouled, you would have been okay (just don't put him back into the game). When the scorer records the foul, though, they have to change the book to match your #22 - team technical, 2 shots + ball for the other team, and you're now "safe" for any other changes of numbers for the rest of the game.
Mark,
At halftime three players come out in different jerseys.
We don't penalize after the first T is in the book ?
mick

Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I think that's right, mick. Am I missing something? Rule 10-1 Penalty: Art. 2, One foul per team, regardless of number of infractions.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mark,
mick

I don't penalize unless they play.

For what you're leading at - I think Chuck already answered for me (correctly, too, by my interpretation).
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I think that's right, mick. Am I missing something? Rule 10-1 Penalty: Art. 2, One foul per team, regardless of number of infractions.

Chuck
Chuck,
My guess is that this rule is to prevent an honest, or dumb, mistake by player(s) that causes the Scorekeeper to make changes.
If players intentionally change jerseys in order to confuse opponents, or to take advantage of fewer fouls on one number than another, I think we must futher penalize under encompassing rule of Unsporting in 10-4-1.
mick
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Chuck,
My guess is that this rule is to prevent an honest, or dumb, mistake by player(s) that causes the Scorekeeper to make changes.
If players intentionally change jerseys in order to confuse opponents, or to take advantage of fewer fouls on one number than another, I think we must futher penalize under encompassing rule of Unsporting in 10-4-1.
mick
I don't know if I would call that. I would have to be pretty sure that they were doing it intentionally with the intent of deception.

Also, 10-1, P Art. 2 states pretty clearly only one T, and the casebook states that, when possible, only 1 T should be charged for multiple similar penalties (10.5 G).

Bottom line - I'm not giving a team 6 shots for something we can fix before the half starts.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Yeah, right.

Quote:

Bottom line - I'm not giving a team 6 shots for something we can fix before the half starts.
In a few years yer gonna have people standing in line for shots.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yeah, right.

Quote:
Quote:

In a few years yer gonna have people standing in line for shots.
I hope that working IM ball will get all of the T's out of my system now - so I don't have as many once I'm doing varsity HS (and maybe higher).

Of course, I already have people wait for other medications, so why not vaccines?