The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

situation in a GV game yesterday afternoon...

Three officials scheduled to work the game, but one of our partners didn't show. Despite that, the game was sailing along smoothly in the first half (no complaints from either coach, except the ocassional "3-seconds"). With 0.92 seconds IN THE FIRST HALF, I called an illegal screen against B15, putting A4 on the line for 1-and-1.

After the shooter receives the ball on the FT line, team A coach stands up and yells, "Hey, if you guys need a break in order to start calling fouls, just let me know. We can take as much time off as you need to catch your breath."

A4 misses the first FT, I blow my whistle and give the coach a T, too which he says, "Good, thank you."

After getting the shooter from the B coach and reporting the foul, the A coach calmly asks me for a time out. I'm very unemotional about the situation (The T was easy, no one was upset about it) and the coach is being calm, so I didn't see any reason to retreat, i.e., go tell my partner about the time out.

I ask the coach, "Would you like a full or a 30?" He responds, "I don't know, however long you guys need."

Well...my question to the board is as follows: What would you have done in that situation?

[Edited by 112448 on Jan 5th, 2003 at 01:23 PM]
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I would have given the time-out as a full one and gone about my business. The first T sent the required message and adding to it at this point for this reason would have seemed petty and silly. Play on!
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Give him a full and goto ur time out location. If he makes another smart @$$ comment toss him. You would have given him a stop sign, a T, a second stop sign (granting a full time out) So if he has something else to say he can say it from the door as it closes behind him. Thats just my opinon. That late in the game i say shoot the fouls and get the clock started. Finsih the game and go grab a Dr. Pepper.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 112448
I ask the coach, "Would you like a full or a 30?" He responds, "I don't know, however long you guys need."
I don't know what I WOULD have done, but I would wish I could say, "Well, coach, thank you, too. After a remark like that directed at me, I guess I need abour four minutes." Or just keep calling successive time-outs, until you used them all up.

Wow -- that would be snotty, wouldn't it?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm....you T him for it for saying it one time but you're not going to T him for saying it again? Where's the logic in that?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Finsih the game and go grab a Dr. Pepper.
Ace... IT was the first half.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 08:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Dave would have told the coach he needed about a week and a half, then picked up his stuff and gone home.

Seriously, I would have whacked that monkey for that.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Hmmmm....you T him for it for saying it one time but you're not going to T him for saying it again? Where's the logic in that?
Tony

thanks for your reply. i just wanted to see a few responses before i said how i handled the situation.

i did indeed give him his second technical foul and the coach left the court without further incident.

btw - his team went on to win the game. his assistant coach actually focused on coaching the team in the second half. amazing what results a coach can get by focusing on his/her players.

Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
1st half? Musta missed that sorry.
Whack him and send him home. I know Technicals shouldnt be relative to what area of the game we are in but I just sometimes think twice before giving a tech in the 4th quater. Espcially to a coach.