The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in my first year and would like to know if its advisable to tell your partner that you are a Rookie? Reason I ask is that one time I told my partner I was a Rookie and rather than getting pointers , I was criticized and questioned all night. Keep in my mind I probably made some mistakes, however the approach shook my confidence. I felt like officiating wasn't for me.

A couple nights later I worked with a partner I feel is the best in the association. I told him "I was a Rookie" and his comments were totally apposite the other guy. He stated that "I didn't Ref like a Rookie and to keep up the good work". He also said "I used mechanics that some vets don't know about". I felt ready for the NBA.
Probably did well because I remebered all the other things from the critcizing Ref.

Ref Biography
I haven't attended any clinics (plan to this year and get certfied) everything I know comes from a NFHS Ref Mechanic Booklet, watching a lot of games and reading rule books along with the comments on this website. I officiate Intramural/Rec ball and both use NCAA rules with some slight changes.

I don't object to vets giving me pointers but don't appreciate being criticized and questioned like I'm a kid.

Do you say it (Rookie) or not????

Feedback, please.

BTW, I've been following you guys for a little while now and think this website is the best thing for youngs Refs. Keep up the good work.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 07:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee

I don't object to vets giving me pointers but don't appreciate being criticized and questioned like I'm a kid.

Do you say it (Rookie) or not????

Woodee,
Face-to-face, at an Officials camp, or from this forum, some of us give information in different ways.
  • Some of us seem harsh in our delivery.
  • Some of us seem understanding in our advice.

Take the information offered, sort it out and use what you want.
    Forget the tone of voice in which you think it was offered. Forget your ego. Glean the information you are offered and say "Thanks." with a smile. Ain't nobody gonna give you a hard time when yer smilin' at 'em. But, put on a you-don't- know-what-yer-talking-about-face and you'll get no mercy, help, or advice.

When I was a 45 year-old rookie, yeah, I told 'em. With that in mind, I figgered I could ask more questions.
    mick
    Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 07:19pm
    Official Forum Member

Thanks Mick.
    Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 09:36pm
    Official Forum Member

First off, welcome aboard.

I think it's best to say that you are a rookie. Whether the comments are positive or negative, you're going to get more of them - and the more comments you get the better off you will be (of course - feel free to sort them like Mick said).

Best of luck with intramurals. My advice - as soon as it is feasible, start calling MS/JH/HS games!
    Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 09:46pm
    Official Forum Member

Cool

...hey, Woodee...this is just a guess, but I'm thinking you don't have to tell them you are a Rookie...they will already know! Trust me on that one!

Dude
    (Now we'll see if he has the right temperment, by his response, to wear the stripes.)
    Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 11:48pm
    Official Forum Member

My MO is (was, since I'm not a rookie anymore) not to say anything regarding "rookieness." Just go out there and do your best without giving your partner any preconceived notions. I think it's kind of like saying, "I'll probably be a little sloppy on my mechanics, and may miss some rules applications, and basically will not be as good as you are, so hopefully you'll understand." Who needs it? Just go out there and aim to improve with each game. Good luck!
    Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 08:54pm
    Official Forum Member

I can relate

It's my first year in the association and so far I've told all my partners that I'm a rookie. I always follow it up with "so please talk to me during time outs, quarters, etc. and provide feedback so I can improve".

At least half of my partners have been helpful in providing tips, suggestions, etc. The other half have said something like "you're doing fine" (which isn't any help at all cause there must be something!).

I've never had a partner criticize yet. Just forget him and move on.

Good luck.
    Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 09:07pm
    Official Forum Member

Woodee, did you learn more(or anything) from the critical official or the other official? By the way i think we need a mixture of both types of partners.
    Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 09:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Bart,

Good ?, I learned more from the critical guy, because I won't forget what he said. Just that his approach was degrading and I think its because I told him I was a Rookie therefore giving him the upper hand. BTW, he did a lot of things out there wrong and I didn't beat him up. I do learn from every game.

I'll say I'm a Rookie this week and will let you guys know the outcome.
    Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 09:41pm
    Official Forum Member

Great answer. You will be a great official.
    Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 10:30pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Bart Tyson
    Great answer. You will be a great official.

Thanks!!!!